Horseshoe permit questions

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Horseshoe permit questions

Postby asmythe32 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:48 pm

I have a permit for horseshoe the 9th I believe. Do I need to take decoys, mojo? Or do they provide decoys? I have never been there so any info is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
asmythe32
hunter

Re: Horseshoe permit questions

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:34 pm

[quote="asmythe32"]I have a permit for horseshoe the 9th I believe. Do I need to take decoys, mojo? Or do they provide decoys? I have never been there so any info is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quo

Pm sent
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby jwurts4 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:04 pm

i have 2 dates in january. Let me know how it is. Several people sent me pms on here when i asked the same question. All of them said dont bring extra shells because you get checked. There is a limit on decoys (2 dozen?). You check in at a barn and then lotto for the blind that day. They said that there is a kill chart so you can see which blinds are producing. Then a truck will take you within walking distance to you blind. Not sure how you get back tho? Guess i will have to re-read my pms......
jwurts4
hunter

Postby jswamp1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:46 pm

They have regular pick up times. Can rent decoys but why rent - bring your own- good place to hunt - brush on blinds need work, but can't complain someone does work for you
jswamp1
hunter

Postby gooseslayingfool » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:21 am

jerk cord will do more than a mojo. mojos avery 200yrds. THink that looks normal?
gooseslayingfool
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Jerk string will be in the bag for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
asmythe32
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:23 pm

No Supermag goose shells or full body decoys are allowed. At Union Co you are allowed 3 dz decoys and I think it is the same for Horseshoe. They haul you out on trucks and come around once every hour to pick up hunters who have walked back to the road. If it is freezing when you go a chopping axe and dip net will come in handy to open a hole.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting