Duck Hunting Forum banner

L.L. Bean Wader Return/Warranty?

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  R-Factor 
#1 ·
Been looking for a new set of waders/retire my slightly seeping ones as back ups.

Been looking at this pair... http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57454?fe ... ue_0=Mossy Oak Duck Blind&productId=956083

Now, from what I have read around on the internet, and confirmed by calling their CS, L.L. Bean has a no questions asked return policy/warranty on all items? So if at any point in time they begin to leak, I can go in and exchange them.

For the additional $40-50 they are over comparable waders from Cabelas and other brands it seems like a no brainer if these are indeed covered with a lifetime warranty.

Is this REALLY the case? Anyone have any experience? Can I honestly walk into the store and say these ripped last weekend and I want them replaced?

#3 ·
This quote is from a CS Rep from LL Bean.

"Our guarantee is often thought to be a lifetime warranty. A warranty can be filled with confusing conditions and limitations. I am happy to say the legendary guarantee our company is founded upon is quite the opposite. Simply, "Our products are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at anytime if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory." Although there is no time limit to our guarantee, we look to our customers to determine whether the product had a useful performance. All products have life cycles of use and we ask each of our loyal customers to determine what that cycle is."

I believe this addresses your concerns. They are nice waders. Probably be my next pair from LL as Cables CS is sucking on most purchases lately. I have SuperMags that haven't leaked yet. Bought them in 2004.

#5 ·
First, I hunt in LL Bean Helix breathable waders. I love them. I have had them for 3yrs now. Before these, I had the regular LL Bean breathable waders. They lasted and performed well until I stepped over the trailer tung and ripped them on the tongue jack brackets.

Now, you have to ask yourself, did the waders perform as they should? I think yes. It was my fault for stepping over the trailer tongue and I cannot expect that a single layer material like breathable waders are made of should stand up to a sharp metal edge.

The LL Bean is a satisfaction guarantee. Were you satisfied with the service you got from the product? How long do you expect you should get out of a pair of waders? It is an honor and reasonableness standard. Unfortunately, many people don't think honorably or reasonably any more.

#7 ·
I just got those exact waders from LL Bean at the beginning of this season. So far, I've absolutely no complaints at all (except possibly that adjusting the shoulder straps is a bit of a laborious process).

As far as LL Bean, their CS has been top notch. Among the best I've ever gotten from an outdoor gear shop.

To put it in perspective, 2 years ago, I bought a pair of their Emerger waist high breathable waders for trout fishing. They started leaking within the first 6 weeks. Sent them back, and received a new pair, no problem.

...until the first time I wore them that fall (summer hit and I started wet-wading before they got there). This pair started leaking the second time I had them out. Again, contacted LL Bean, and got another replacement pair.

Ended up using my backup waders for the rest of that winter and spring. Last fall, I gave my brand new waders their first use on a duck hunt (open, shallow water, no abrasion risk) in October. They were leaking within an hour and a half.

Over the winter I sent Bean some email voicing my frustrations, and while they were very nice, I guess I couldn't really expect much more than their awesome warranty. Late this summer, I timed a sale on these Brush Tuff waders, and returned my emergers for credit, which I put toward them. LaCrosse's manufacturing backed by Bean's CS has me optimistic.

#8 ·
Cabelas has a similar warranty. Source: On my third pair of Cabela's waders, only spent money on the first pair.

It comes down to what store you have near you.

I love Bean's customer service. And Cabela's.

#9 ·
NJGilbert said:
Cabelas has a similar warranty. Source: On my third pair of Cabela's waders, only spent money on the first pair.

It comes down to what store you have near you.

I love Bean's customer service. And Cabela's.
No they don't. Return/exchange is only one year and ninety days max from date of purchase. They do have prorated returns without receipts and give you the lowest twelve month price for the product only to put towards the same product.

#10 ·
Having worked for LLB in the past at their flagship store in Freeport, I think I can shed a little light on this topic. LLB does, in fact, offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee with every item they sell (guns and ammo are the only items not included on this I believe- for obvious reasons). This meaning, any item purchased from LLB that fails to meet up to your expectations can be returned at any time. Yes- including a pair of waders x-years down the road. We all know that this warranty gets abused day in and day out, but this model has worked for them over the years. When I worked on the sales floor, I can remember a fellow talking about bringing back a t-shirt after a number of years for his cash back. If your conscience allows you to do that, LLB will accept the item back. :rolleyes:
With that said, I've done a pile of business with them over the years and have no problem returning an item if it doesn't last as long as it should...or if waders leak prematurely...or if a tent pole snaps on the 3rd time using it...you get the idea. Part of this serves a greater purpose for LLB- allowing them to track success of different items over time and helps make purchasing decisions for the future.
I don't always buy from LLB, but many times I do. In most cases, I feel that the extra dough is well spent for the satisfaction guarantee. While admittedly, I'm not as familiar with Cabelas return policy, I'm quite certain that it's very different than LLB's when it comes to stipulations on a return.
Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.