Hobble Creek Success?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Hobble Creek Success?

Postby Gritter76904 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Has anyone had much success hunting the Hobble Creek WMA at Provo Bay? Is it the type of place that a person could make their go-to spot, or is it just hit and miss? By success, I mean bagging at least 1-2 birds with some sort of regularity between visits. I went there today (12 November), and walked in around 1600. I saw a few people, many weren't going too deep into the marsh since they didn't have waders. I pressed on into the reeds with a broken down fence paralleling me on my left side. I got to a decent looking spot where the canal opened up and tucked myself into one of the stands of brush right near the fence line. Right about 1645 I heard shots start to pop off, most sounded like they were coming from somewhere in the bay south of me. I looked that way and noticed a crap ton of geese that looked like they were coming out of Spanish Fork canyon or somewhere there a bouts. They were flying in steady for a good twenty minutes in a northwestern direction towards Saratoga Springs. Right around 1700, two Teal (i think) bent in straight for me at about 80 yards. I shouldered my 870, but they spotted some guy who was sloshing around in his waders right in the middle of the canal blowing a duck call. They broke back north, and that was the end of it.
In the end, I'm wondering if Hobble Creek is worth the time and frustration of being in close quarters with several people just because it's close to home (Eagle Mountain), or if I'd best take my business elsewhere during this peak canvasback time. I've gone all up and down the western bank of Utah Lake, and it looks like some quarry bought everything up and put barricades in front of ll the trails so you can't even access the lake. The place where the Jordan River meets the lake is absolutely surrounded with private property and likewise inaccessible. I'm probably gonna give Hobble a couple more shots, including trying a morning hunt, and probably after the next cold front. Granted it has been kinda warm, but water levels weren't as low as i expected they'd be, so I dunno. Anyhow, any advice would be appreciated.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after - Henry David Thoreau
Gritter76904
hunter

Re: Hobble Creek Success?

Postby 12gaoufan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Here is a website with "all" the public access points to Utah Lake. None of them is a secret, so you will usually see lots of people.
http://utahlake.gov/25-easy-access-points-to-utah-lake/

I've been to Hobble Creek a few times. Always saw lots of people. Got lucky once and shot a few ducks.
12gaoufan
hunter

Postby Gritter76904 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Tonight was pretty active (13 November).... Saw several ducks, kept flying over me too high, circling, and coming down on approach on a couple of guys' decoys about 60 yards away. They popped several, I never could rip a shot at one since they never missed. Today was a lot cooler, and a front is moving this way tomorrow, so I'm gonna give it one more crack this week...
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after - Henry David Thoreau
Gritter76904
hunter

Postby foulmouth » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:42 am

All in all I would say the hobble creek access is about as good as it gets for utah county. It sees as many birds as any where! Problem isn't the birds but the people it's obviously a short drive for any one so it gets pounded regularly. Which wouldn't be all that bad but it seems there is always someone sky busting screwing it up for every one else. I would say a guy could have some good luck there if u can get far enough from the other groups.
foulmouth
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting