Finding Puddlers in Marsh

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Finding Puddlers in Marsh

Postby terenceb » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 am

Hey Guys,

I'm kind of new to duck hunting (3rd year) and live out in California. I usually hunt a lot of public marshes (SF Bay and the Delta) and it is basically 90% divers that I encounter (scaup, buffleheads, canvasbacks). I don't mind it, and get a lot of action, but I was hoping to try and get into more puddlers, but don't know where to start looking. I am assuming they would like to tuck away in small sloughs or smaller water? Does it matter if there is a tide/ current in the area (like on a river)? I've read a lot about guys hunting mallards over farm ponds, so wasn't sure if it had to be still/ shallow water.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
terenceb
hunter

Re: Finding Puddlers in Marsh

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Talk to your local state duck biologist. Find out what they eat in the delta and where it is located. Hunt those areas.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:14 pm

That's awesome that you see a healthy amount of divers in your marshes. When I get the occasional diver species it's a special bird for me!

I agree with Scaup, concentrate on food sources. Also concentrate on more shallow water than you'd find these divers on (normally). Mallards will hit all kinds of water bodies.. shallow and deep, current, no current, tidal, etc. so you may find places like this that work, up here in Oregon public marshes I definitely like feed-rich shallow places though. Good luck :smile:
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Kali_diver » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Also try a few pot holes along the delta. The mallards in the marsh I hunt frequent hard to access potholes in the middle of cattail forests.
Kali_diver
hunter

Postby Freezer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 am

I hunt Grizzly Island and do ok on puddlers when they're in the area. Grizzly is a very large refuge and everyone gets in. Reservations aren't hard to get either.
Freezer
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting