HELP ME OUT HERE

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: HELP ME OUT HERE

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:37 am

wetgoldenretriever wrote:How big is the lake? As long as it's public you should be fine.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, according to google maps, it doesnt even have a name, so does that make it someones private slough?
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:31 am

So you can hunt but your mother will loom over you from the road? Tell her to Don the Camo and join ya in the blind... My mom wasn't over protective of me like this but I have had some great times hunting with my Mom.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:34 am

DuckManClyde wrote:
wetgoldenretriever wrote:How big is the lake? As long as it's public you should be fine.....

Well, according to google maps, it doesnt even have a name, so does that make it someones private slough?

Lol just go head and hunt it you will find out
txhunter90
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:45 am

Yolo

dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Here is the layout boys, From the road you can see all the geese, around 7am ( were still not sure if they fly in before that or sit there all night ). The idea is well take the river into the lake, problem is, ( based on the geese's position ) well need to cross about 40 yards of water before we can sit behind cover untill shooting hours, hopefully without being seen. How would you guys tackle this conundrum? Oh, and standing from land would be trespassing and one hellava shot.
Attachments
clydes game calls 160.jpg
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:53 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:Here is the layout boys, From the road you can see all the geese, around 7am ( were still not sure if they fly in before that or sit there all night ). The idea is well take the river into the lake, problem is, ( based on the geese's position ) well need to cross about 40 yards of water before we can sit behind cover untill shooting hours, hopefully without being seen. How would you guys tackle this conundrum? Oh, and standing from land would be trespassing and one hellava shot.

Go ask landowner for permission. Offer him your mother while you hunt.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
t_baker
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:04 pm

t_baker wrote:
DuckManClyde wrote:Here is the layout boys, From the road you can see all the geese, around 7am ( were still not sure if they fly in before that or sit there all night ). The idea is well take the river into the lake, problem is, ( based on the geese's position ) well need to cross about 40 yards of water before we can sit behind cover untill shooting hours, hopefully without being seen. How would you guys tackle this conundrum? Oh, and standing from land would be trespassing and one hellava shot.

Go ask landowner for permission. Offer him your mother while you hunt.

about half the duck hunting population in my area has asked for permission, it actually is owned by some lady. I hear that people have trespassed and done it anyways, but since no-ones smart enough to get on the river and find were it runs in, well probably be the first to do this legally. The real issue is how to get to these geese, without disturbing them. So come hours we can hammer them. Then maybe wait a half hour longer for another flock assuming we dont limit out.
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:07 pm

You sure those geese aren't tame ? Sounds like they might belong to that lady and the reason no one gets permission is because people keep shooting her pets.No wonder your mom doesn't want you hunting
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:You sure those geese aren't tame ? Sounds like they might belong to that lady and the reason no one gets permission is because people keep shooting her pets.No wonder your mom doesn't want you hunting

This

t_baker
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:17 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:You sure those geese aren't tame ? Sounds like they might belong to that lady and the reason no one gets permission is because people keep shooting her pets.No wonder your mom doesn't want you hunting

I hunted a creek one time when I was living in PA with a buddy of mine. A guy down the creek came running down the banks screaming and yelling at us saying we were shooting his ducks! Instead of starting a pointless argument we left. I just thought it was a little ridiculous that he would own 200 mallards on a public creek.

Sent from my iPhone3 using Tapatalk 28
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:17 pm

geese are probably roosting there if you see them that early already on the water...but I could be wrong on that.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:24 pm

areant tame geese clipped? cause we were out fishing the river sunday, nothing sitting there in the afternoon, then around 6pm right before we left we heard them come flying in. so yea its probably a roost
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Don't bust up a roost that's a **** move!

wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:57 am

wetgoldenretriever wrote:Don't bust up a roost that's a **** move!

I like to avoid busting roosts as well, but if someone is relying on a roost of 150-200 birds to get them by it's gonna be a long season.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:37 am

im not talking about hammering them all week, just once or is that still to much?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:39 am

DuckManClyde wrote:im not talking about hammering them all week, just once or is that still to much?

Why are you even asking ? Your Moms not going to let you go anyways
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:22 am

DuckManClyde wrote:im not talking about hammering them all week, just once or is that still to much?

Once has the potential to push birds to a new roost location. Not always though. IMO if its only 100-200 birds it not a big deal. If you're busting a roost of a
1000 birds you could destroy several days or weeks worth of field hunting for some other folks or group. It's up to you to decide what makes sense to you though.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:11 pm

lol, shes my ride out there, it might even be less than 200. i looked today its probably around 80-100. its getting less every couple days. im not worried about wreaking the geese theres plenty in the area, these are just a couple miles out the back door.

DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 pm

That's not bad then if it's less than 100 birds

wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:52 pm

COLD COLD MORNING! 9 degrees and an inch of ice, got to the point, walked the thin gravel trail and the geese swam to the ice and sat there. My buddy worked around the back side of them, to scare them towards me, and being the wonderful shot that i am :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :no: :no: :no: i missed both shots with the geese flying just over treetop hight, Cant say why, i just get excited and forget the technique, follow through and apparently not enough leed. ( BTW it was with imp. mod chokes and 3 shot steel ) they swing back around and sure chit, here he is 3 for 3 with his brothers 12 gauge ( full choke 4 shot ). Cleaning them revealed almost 12 bbs in one of their chests. He says its this huge lead he puts on 'em HOW SLOW DO THESE PELLETS ACTUALLY FLY?????
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:30 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:COLD COLD MORNING! 9 degrees and an inch of ice, got to the point, walked the thin gravel trail and the geese swam to the ice and sat there. My buddy worked around the back side of them, to scare them towards me, and being the wonderful shot that i am :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :sarcmark: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :no: :no: :no: i missed both shots with the geese flying just over treetop hight, Cant say why, i just get excited and forget the technique, follow through and apparently not enough leed. ( BTW it was with imp. mod chokes and 3 shot steel ) they swing back around and sure chit, here he is 3 for 3 with his brothers 12 gauge ( full choke 4 shot ). Cleaning them revealed almost 12 bbs in one of their chests. He says its this huge lead he puts on 'em HOW SLOW DO THESE PELLETS ACTUALLY FLY?????

Steel shot really puts the brakes on quick as it gets farther out. Long sustained lead or short lead and follow through will usually kill most anything you should be shooting at. Don't focus on the bird, focus on the beak. :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole