Shine on Decoys...Difference?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Shine on Decoys...Difference?

Postby terenceb » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Hey Guys,

I painted a few old teal decoys as coots to add as confidence decoys since the areas I hunt rarely see teal but there are a ton of coots, buffleheads, scaup and canvasbacks. I noticed that the finished product looked kind of shiny (I used Behr Interior Latex paint that I got from a friend and sprayed the Krylon 1311 matte finish on it) but I wasn't sure if it was just because of the black/ dark color, since the bills (white) were dull and not really glossy.

Anyways, do you think that too much shine would cause ducks to avoid the spread/ flare? I had them out last weekend but the ducks haven't been responding to calls or working decoys since the season began for me, so I can't judge right now.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
terenceb
hunter

Re: Shine on Decoys...Difference?

Postby AndrewDoran » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 pm

Absolutely duck feathers do not reflect light the shine that comes from using glossy paint is just like the shine off your face and will spook birds every time
AndrewDoran
hunter

Postby terenceb » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Dang, you think I should sand it down? Or how should it be "dulled down" you think?
terenceb
hunter

Postby Limitsx10 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:59 pm

I've always used flat latex paint. The final product looks pretty good and matches the original paint in sheen, or lack thereof, and color. Good luck with them.
Limitsx10
hunter

Postby Wooduckschmuck » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:59 pm

You could try wire brushing them...
Wooduckschmuck
hunter

Postby Dbag » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 am

Use krylon matt spray, protects the decoy and removes reflection. Get it at wall mart.
Dbag
hunter

Postby terenceb » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks guys...yea, i'll probably try to do a light sand and Krylon matte spray.
terenceb
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:35 pm

try a light coat of the rust-oleum frosted glass rattle can. i scored sum at k-mart on sale for 1.00$ a can. i had repainted sum redheads that i thought looked a bit to shiny. i hit them with that stuff and problem solved. good luck and good duckn
garlicsalt
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting