making them fish ducks edible !

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

making them fish ducks edible !

Postby Baileygravs » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:23 am

I am not one to throw away my fish ducks, and i do shoot lots of them. Small town guy in northern ontario and i dont get to shoot slow flying big fat mallys all day. however i have figured out how to make these guys edible, i soak the breast and legs (yes i keep the legs) in salt water for 2-3 days then in buttermilk for a day. I then go on to make a strong marinaid out of rosemary, orange juice, ketchup, soy sauce and brown sugar, and let me tell you, you would think you were eating a woodie, give it a try !
Baileygravs
hunter

Re: making them fish ducks edible !

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:04 am

Baileygravs wrote:I am not one to throw away my fish ducks, and i do shoot lots of them. Small town guy in northern ontario and i dont get to shoot slow flying big fat mallys all day. however i have figured out how to make these guys edible, i soak the breast and legs (yes i keep the legs) in salt water for 2-3 days then in buttermilk for a day. I then go on to make a strong marinaid out of rosemary, orange juice, ketchup, soy sauce and brown sugar, and let me tell you, you would think you were eating a woodie, give it a try !

Seems like a lot of work to mask the taste. I never brine or drench my divers in buttermilk. I simply treat them like any puddler. Maybe do an italian marinade in a baggie for a couple hours before hitting the grill, but thats about it. This year I will try and do sausage out of some of my divers. The rest will be made for gumbo. From coots to ringnecks to mergansers, Im not picky about shooting them.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby radfordc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:32 pm

In my opinion most of the "off" taste that people talk about in divers is from the layer of fat under the skin. Make sure all the fat is cut away from the meat and you won't be able to tell a diver from a mallard.
radfordc
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:07 pm

I cooked up a mess of Goldeneye and a Hooded Merganser yesterday using a recipe published in DU magazine called "Duck Chile Verde".
http://www.huntfishcook.com/index2.php? ... pdf&id=476

It's freakin' great! I brined the breast for 6 hours and then marinaded in Italian salad dressing overnight.
radfordc
hunter

Postby Baileygravs » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:19 pm

I will have to give that a try, soudns good and a little less work ! i dont find all divers bad. ring necks, buffies and bluebills arent to bad, even the little M's. But them big old mature mergansers :crying:
Baileygravs
hunter

Postby radfordc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:08 pm

I like the hoodies, too. I cooked some last week using a simple receipe...brine the ducks for a couple of hours, cut in strips, season with olive oil and Montreal Steak Seasoning, fry until just medium rare. Really good.
radfordc
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Mine all go in a gumbo with ham and andouise sausage with the rest of the divers. No need to marinade.
JFord56
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking