Upper Miss CA - changes coming for blind regs??

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Upper Miss CA - changes coming for blind regs??

Postby matt9966 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Scrolling through the MDC webpage I found a article (below) discussing potential changes to Upper Miss CA blind construction. Figured this would be a worthy share here since it just came up today and I am sure there are STL hunters here who have had or do have blinds out there. They are surveying interest in using: boat blinds, temporary blinds, and permanent blinds instead of permanent blinds only. Kind of interesting thought MDC has and I will have to say this actually makes some sort of sense. Interested in hearing others thoughts

http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/mdc-seeks-waterfowl-hunters-input-proposed-blind-regulation-changes-upper-mississippi-ca

MDC seeks waterfowl hunters input on proposed blind regulation changes for Upper Mississippi CA

St. Charles Co., Mo. — Waterfowl hunters who utilize the Upper Mississippi Conservation Area have the opportunity to submit their input to the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) regarding proposed procedural changes that pertain to waterfowl hunting blinds.

In the past, hunters who were awarded blind sites through a bi-annual lottery were required to construct permanent blinds on the site. These blinds were then inspected by MDC staff to ensure they met size specifications and camouflage requirements. Passing this inspection was mandatory before hunters could use the blinds.

The Mississippi River stage fluctuates greatly and, over the last few years, the river has been above flood stage or extremely low during the waterfowl blind construction period and during waterfowl season. These extremes can cause delays in blind building and the blind inspection process. Hunters often have constructed blinds only to have them destroyed by high river stages or ice flows.

Permanent blinds can be costly for hunters to build and this investment may be lost with one flood event or ice flow. Because of such losses, an increased number of hunters have asked for the ability to use a boat blind or use a temporary blind structure.

MDC hopes to enhance hunter opportunities by allowing multiple hunting blind options, including boat blinds, temporary blinds, and permanent blinds. The agency is seeking hunter opinion of this proposed change through an online poll.

The poll can be accessed at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BKGFYRG. Hunters may submit their input now through Nov. 30.

MDC anticipates the proposed change will offer waterfowl hunters the following benefits:

Hunters selected for a blind site will have the option of hunting from a blind type of their choice, including temporary, boat, or permanent blinds.
For hunters choosing either temporary blinds or boat blinds, the risk of blind damage associated with flooding and ice will be eliminated.
Allowing different blind types to be used will provide hunters options for the amount of time and cost they want to invest in their site.
Blind sites will no longer be inspected for construction or camouflage requirements and therefore, there will be no lost hunting opportunities due to blinds failing the inspection process and being closed to hunting for the season.
The Upper Mississippi Conservation Area waterfowl blinds are located in Navigation Pools 24 (Pharrs Island-C Blinds), 25 (Stag Island-W Blinds), and 26 (Dresser/West Alton-A Blinds) on the Mississippi River north of St. Louis.
matt9966
hunter

Re: Upper Miss CA - changes coming for blind regs??

Postby oktakem » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:20 pm

I was at the redraw when it was announced they were considering changes. A few guys were pretty upset and they have valid points. There will be somebody show up in a silver aluminum bass tracker and try and hunt ducks for 2 seasons and ruin everybody elses hunting because of the silver boat sticking out. At the same time there are blinds that get washed out every year. Maybe they should require the blind be torn down every year except the platform otherwise it gets thrown into the re-draw?
I'll be honest here, this temporary blind thing comes from a meeting a group of Illinois hunters (forget the organizations name Mississippi Valley Duck hunters asscoc.?) that was held at Columbia Bottoms 3 years ago. It was a card that was sent out inviting people. I was there. The guy holding the meeting was obviously intoxicated. They specifically brought this up. Andy, Chris Adams and Gary Calvert along with others were there. Us 3 plus two other guys were from Missouri, the other 20 or so were all Illinois guys!!!! These guys pretty much were dictating what they wanted done to the MDC. So a group of Ill. guys come over here to try and dictate things? Try one of us doing that up in Batchtown!!!!! Won't make it out of the parking lot! I brought up what many of the Missouri guys want is to ban Illinois guys from drawing blinds. Co-register is ok, just not draw the blind. Heck they can't put in for reservations. Not that all of those from Illinois are bad/poor ethics hunters but it seems certain groups constantly year after year are causing problems. We have one now that has a really good blind.......and it's full of beer cans!!!!! They sky bust too!!!!!!
It is going online no matter what, That's understandable with the costs of having the draw, though I would rather it be on the same day, in person at 3 different locations-Alton/Dresser at Columbia Bottoms Winfield at BK and Clarksville at Shanks RAIN OR SHINE. You show up and put your card in with the four registrants. They pull that card then you pick your blind. Done. That will help with the large groups that draw blind after blind it seems. Missouri residents only!
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Are you referring to the North County Duck Slayers? I see them up there a lot around Dresser/Alton.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby oktakem » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:25 pm

I have no idea who they are-North County Duck Slayers? Referring to the Illinois guys. Not all, but seems most are not well liked up there.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:41 am

SMcGarrity wrote:Are you referring to the North County Duck Slayers? I see them up there a lot around Dresser/Alton.

No those guys are from north St Louis county. They are from Missouri. I have met and hunted with some of them. Seem to be pretty good guys.
BigAL64
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:22 am

I'm for it. Not overly concerned about the guy who shows up in a neon bass tracker. If he is close enough to you, then yes that guy might ruin a hunt. But it beats educating birds by sky blasting. Which already happens in these semi-permanent blinds. And I would think that guy in the neon bass boat would learn that what he is doing isn't working and that's that. Or you could take the high road, invite him over to your boat/spot (if possible), and educate the guy.

If the changes keep the uneducated, the sky blasters, and the disrespectful off the river then I'm game! But there are idiots everywhere you go and there is no getting away from them 100% of the time.

My thinking might be wrong here, but wouldn't birds stay away from the aluminum, neon boats completely? And wouldn't these birds work other spots and locations where hunters are covered up and things look more natural? Which could possibly be a good thing for that group who knows what they're doing...just my 2 cents!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

SMcGarrity
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting