spread tactics

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

spread tactics

Postby Chulme12 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:41 pm

how many of yall mix your puddle duck spread? and does it work better mixed up or keeping the same species together?
Chulme12
Newb

Re: spread tactics

Postby Stish85 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:21 pm

I always mix my spread. I have mostly mallards. However I also include teal, widgeon and pintail in it. When migrating ducks are used to sitting with other ducks, so this is natural for them. I actually leave my teal in my spread all year. I like the size difference they provide, decoys are often all the same size where as wild ducks obviously are not. It's all about making the spread as realistic as possible. I also use several different postures. My spread is about 1 active/upright for every 2 to 3 feeders/sleepers. If you watch a live relaxed/feeding flock you will notice there I'd very few upright heads compared to others

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:08 pm

I have in my arsenal mallard, pintail, wigeon, teal, shoveler, wood duck, gadwall, coots, and a few divers. I don't use all of these at once, but will check the reports (if i am hunting a WMA that keeps harvest data) and look for the following things: A) What is traditionally harvested in past years on the day I am hunting, and B) what has been in the bag recently.

For example, if I see that 60 mallards, 30 teal, 20 wigeon, 10 gadwall, and 10 shovelers were harvested on the most recent day I will make a spread something like 12 mallards, 6 teal, 4 wigeon, 2 gadwall, and 2 shovelers. If I know coots are there, I'll always throw them in.

Kinda going off on my own tangent with this tip here, but to answer your question: Yes, I truly believe in mixing your spread up.
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:20 am

I've done both and they both seem to work fine.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting