6 shell challenge

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

6 shell challenge

Postby laduckhunter16 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Every year at the camp we choose one morning where everyone takes part in the 6 shell challenge. Everyone gets 6 shells, 6 decoys, a shotgun, calls nothing else. No one is allowed to hunt out of a blind. And no one is allowed to hunt toghter. This is our way of determining who is the real hunter. Who ever ever comes back with the most ducks wins. I thought i would share this with everyone and would like to hear if anyone else had any competitions like this that they do. I should add that i hunt coastal marshes Where we shoot mostly teal, galdwal, and the ocasional unlucky mallard or pintail.
laduckhunter16
hunter

Re: 6 shell challenge

Postby possumfoot » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:15 pm

what happens when someone comes back with 6 ducks and still has 5 shells??
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:28 pm

I would hate to think i blew a great morning in the marsh with tons of birds working because I only took 6 shells and wasnt shooting well.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby laduckhunter16 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:43 pm

possumfoot wrote:what happens when someone comes back with 6 ducks and still has 5 shells??

Whammy shell
laduckhunter16
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:48 pm

This 6 shell challenge has the makings of an epic ground pound/water swat written all over it! :sarcmark:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:15 pm

We do something similar. Well, it's a little different . . .

We clip high birds and then see who can get six in em before they hit the water. Winner gets to drink the kill through a straw.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby bighop » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Do coots count? I bet I can get 40. You can keep the decoys too.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 pm

I can't kill a cripple on the water with 6 shells.

Every year I usually attend the Torrington 2-shot goose competition in Wyoming. It's a good time! One blind, 2 hunters, 2 shells each. Sure makes a guy very picky about his shot selection.

http://www.2shotgoose.com/Applications/New%20Rules.pdf
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Merganzor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:58 pm

My first reaction to this post was to make-up some game about hunting noobs like in The Most Dangerous Game or that Ice T movie. Then I just wanted to say that the OP needs to reevaluate his definition of real hunter. Sweet baby jeebus (thanks UR) what is this forum doing to me?
WTN10 wrote:I hope a midget attacks your legs with a chainsaw.
Merganzor
hunter

Postby T Man » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Merganzor wrote:Sweet baby jeebus (thanks UR) what is this forum doing to me?

Shhhhhhh....Just let it happen.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Merganzor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:03 am

T Man wrote:Shhhhhhh....Just let it happen.

OK. Here goes.

It's not really a game per se, but it is a lot like what the OP was talking about. One of the guys keeps bringing this really annoying kid to our camp. Says he feels sorry for him. He's a nice enough kid, just so annoying. I mean, he has a target barrel on his duck gun for pete's sake. When we can't stand to hunt with him one more day, we tell him it is time for the Six Shell Challenge to see who the Real Hunter is. We give him six shells and six decoys, tell him the blinds are off limits, and send him off into the marsh. We act like we are playing too, but all meet at our favorite blind (the one he doesn't even know about) where we usually limit on greenheads for an enjoyable, responsible hunt. It might be a little mean, but it preserves our sanity and hasn't hurt his feelings yet. The guy still thinks the six shell challenge is a real thing. :no:
WTN10 wrote:I hope a midget attacks your legs with a chainsaw.
Merganzor
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:10 am

Merganzor wrote:

OK. Here goes.

It's not really a game per se, but it is a lot like what the OP was talking about. One of the guys keeps bringing this really annoying kid to our camp. Says he feels sorry for him. He's a nice enough kid, just so annoying. I mean, he has a target barrel on his duck gun for pete's sake. When we can't stand to hunt with him one more day, we tell him it is time for the Six Shell Challenge to see who the Real Hunter is. We give him six shells and six decoys, tell him the blinds are off limits, and send him off into the marsh. We act like we are playing too, but all meet at our favorite blind (the one he doesn't even know about) where we usually limit on greenheads for an enjoyable, responsible hunt. It might be a little mean, but it preserves our sanity and hasn't hurt his feelings yet. The guy still thinks the six shell challenge is a real thing. :no:

I knew it you *****. I go off lost in the damn marsh for hours while I hear all this shooting. I got six coot decoys and 6 3.5" shells and only a 2 3/4 gun. I just curl up and cry in the fetal position. I hate all of you I hope you all get leaky waders and Turkey lice on your sacks
Lonely wives, dirty trucks , and happy dogs.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:17 am

We do not have an official event but we usually end up with a day that plays out with everyone using six shells, but we still hunt together. It definitely slows down our member who is always first to shoot and never leaves one in the tube. :yes:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:20 am

I don't hunt unless I can shoot at least a box or two.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Underradar » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:21 am

Substitute Bourbon bottles for those shells, and we can talk.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 am

cannon wrote:We do something similar. Well, it's a little different . . .

We clip high birds and then see who can get six in em before they hit the water. Winner gets to drink the kill through a straw.

I will eat it's heart.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Crazy Matt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 am

Merganzor wrote:

OK. Here goes.

Anyone wanna go snipe hunting?
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:45 am

Crazy Matt wrote:
Merganzor wrote:

OK. Here goes.

You bringing the beer ??
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:06 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:
Merganzor wrote:

OK. Here goes.

You bringing the beer ??

You know how I party, man.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:14 am

Crazy Matt wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:
Merganzor wrote:

OK. Here goes.

You bringing the beer ??

Lets go then. I ain't skerred
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby waterfowlman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 am

possumfoot wrote:what happens when someone comes back with 6 ducks and still has 5 shells??

You know you've got a water swatter on your hands. :lol3:
Rule Number One: Always use a sledge hammer to kill an ant.
waterfowlman
SIR

Postby Omaha Clucker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:34 am

What happens to the loser? Pretty sure I'd be the "non" hunter with an empty box of shells and a full strap of ducks in my blind.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:
Merganzor wrote:

OK. Here goes.

You bringing the rubbers??

mmm hmmm
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:48 am

OmegaRed wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Crazy Matt wrote:
Merganzor wrote:

OK. Here goes.

You bringing the rubbers??

mmm hmmm

Hater
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:57 pm

As kids we'd go out and camp on the barrier islands only bringing canned vegetables. No limit on shells but if you didnt bring meat back you didnt eat. Unless it was a crow or trash duck then thats all the meat you got BUT you got to eat. It wasnt long after a few no duck bluebird days we found alternative game.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole