Old sculler still around

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Old sculler still around

Postby darcher » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Thought I would check in and see how everyone is doing and saw the reference to the death. Really sad. I sculled opening weekend and got blown off the lake. First time in years that I didn't get a goose on the opener in my scull boat. So far I have had good days and bad days, but the good days have kept me buoyant. Had a good shoot at Freezeout and a couple good hunts on the reservation. My wife has been deathly ill and is now a cancer survivor with great prospects so I have been staying close to home. I am waiting for a hard freeze and then will try the Flathead or Clark Fork River. Thanksgiving I will hunt (more likely explore) Skagit Bay as we are going to Bellingham for Thanksgiving.

PS No more whining for me. My new boat is very low profile. My seat is a recliner on the floor. I cut out a large window in the blind to prop up my shotgun, and I wear face paint. Now I can see birds approach. My shotgun is propped on my shoulder, and this year I have knocked down two doubles coming into my decoys. Everything is bonus from here on out.
darcher
hunter

Re: Old sculler still around

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:42 pm

Glad to hear your well. Was beginning to wonder. Hadn't see you on here since hearing about kalispell hunter.
Last edited by PTROOFER FTFOWLER on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:43 pm

Double post
Last edited by PTROOFER FTFOWLER on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby darcher » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:17 am

That's a horrible experience, especially since I made a reference to the man we lost up on the Flathead. I've seen video of those layout boats out in the open water far from shore. I know most people like short narratives on this forum, but I would like to hear more about the event. Damn, that's real scary. I had an experience a few years. I made the mistake of telling the story to my wife of the ordeal. Later I realized that I was really scared and made a serious error. I made a pledge to her that I haven't broken. Why was the tender so far away? Did they have more than one hunter to pick up? Bad situation!
darcher
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:20 am

Glad to hear you're still alive!
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby darcher » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:47 pm

It would be interesting if we had a thread about boat safety precautions. I bring a set of warm clothes in a dry bag, but other than that I realize that I am not all that prepared. My reference to stupidity was when I crossed a large stretch of open water during a storm. I didn't have a cell phone in those days, and I didn't want my wife to worry. Also, I didn't tell her where I was going. It was really scary. My new boat that I made has lots of flotation AND a water pump. I could just as easily headed for a protected spot on the shoreline and wait out the storm. Now I make sure I let the wife know where I am going, I bring my cell phone and I don't cross open water when it is not prudent. During one wind storm I had only to wait two hours and I crossed on calm conditions and my wife had dinner on hold for me.
darcher
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:16 am

No duck is worth dying for. Fortunately, the situations are few and far between in this area where you have to choose between risking your life and riding out a storm. But they do occasionally happen.

I run a boat with full flotation and in my last four boats I have run 2000 GPH bilge pumps. It is a re-assuring feeling to see that 1" stream of water shooting 3' out the side of your boat when you hit the switch. I buy XXXL life jackets so that they can be comfortably worn over thick hunting jackets (no excuses) and I have a waterproof dunk bag with a beach towel and extra set of clothing including long johns. I have had to use the contents of this bag in temps in the teens when walking around in the decoys I tripped over a log and did a face plant in the water.

Sorry to hear about the tragedy on Flathead. Be safe out there.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting