Narrowly missed the goose egg.

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, JoeP, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J.

Narrowly missed the goose egg.

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Sometimes hunts offer the opposite of what you usually expect. This morning there were plenty of birds to work. The problem though for me was all the birds came from a different direction than usual. I was caught off guard many times and had to do a good amount of calling to get noticed. I turned a lot of ducks today but had a hard time finishing them. They would turn on my calls but circle and then leave. I whiffed on a few shots too.

As I thought more about the birds not committing it dawned on me. GET RID OF THE STUPID SPINNER.The ducks came close but just wouldn't set. I have a love hate thing for spinners. I know they work, but also know they can be a hinderance. I knew it was time to put it away. I pulled it out of my spread and the next pair of black ducks came to my call on a string, wings cupped, feet down. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. End of hunt.
111613.JPG
Baymen Moe
hunter

Re: Narrowly missed the goose egg.

Postby McManusClan5 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Nice! :thumbsup: Way to keep the skunk at bay…

Nice morning out there - glad you got out and came back with an appetizer or two. :drool:

Matt
McManusClan5
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:51 pm

nice job, baymen. i narrowly avoided the goose egg today, as well until i decided to take this hoodie. i normally pass on them but the big ducks were not cooperating and the ringers and teal were a no show. im planning to get it mounted because theyre just a nice looking bird. i always like seeing them.
Attachments
hoodrow.JPG
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:15 pm

I will say that is a great looking black though. At least you figured out the spinner was the issue. Beautiful weather this morning though. Nice Hoodie Leaky, Never shot one myself.
Joser06
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Nice black, I agree with you on the spinner tho, a lot of times it gets them close enough but not fully commited.
Nice hoodie Leakey, I've seen a ton of them around this year.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby PghDuckHunter » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Not getting skunked is a great day. It was crowded with sky busters at Parker River today. My set was at the tail end of the gauntlet and needless to say I didn't even fire my gun. The birds were so high by the time they reached me I thought they would bring rain. I was definitively NOT on the X. Learning to love being out on the marsh though. It's amazing at sunrise ducks or no ducks.
PghDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:39 am

PghDuckHunter wrote:It's amazing at sunrise ducks or no ducks.

You said it right there.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting