Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby TrapperRob » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:i think we are ALL looking for that


:lol: x2
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
User avatar
TrapperRob
hunter
 
Posts: 784
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:56 pm
Location: Middle of Delaware


Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Crawfishermen here put a hurting on them.

This. It's hilarious how mad the crawfishermen and crawfish farmers are at the cormorants.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:31 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Crawfishermen here put a hurting on them.

This. It's hilarious how mad the crawfishermen and crawfish farmers are at the cormorants.

and it is a social event..... :wink:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Not pertaining to cormorants, but some friends of mine from St. Martinsville have their annual poule d'eau shoot at the end of every season, the last afternoon. THAT is a social event, and THAT is a massacre.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby DuckMauler » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:42 am

I wish we had a season on them in NC. I would be the first one in the water to take out these fishery destroying birds.
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter
 
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:50 am
Location: Piedmont, NC

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Greenheadindy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:42 am

MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Crawfishermen here put a hurting on them.

This. It's hilarious how mad the crawfishermen and crawfish farmers are at the cormorants.


Are they as mad as people in the Dakotas are at prairie dogs?
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:12 am

Are they as mad as I am at Canadians?
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 16715
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Greenheadindy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:23 am

Botiz630 wrote:Are they as mad as I am at Canadians?


Been listening to Celine dion and Bryan Adams again?
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby The Pas Swamp Donkey » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:11 am

Rumor has it that some commercial fisherman on Lake Winnipegosis went to the island that they were nesting on and used whipper snippers to behead several thousand chicks, and waited for the adults to come back and went through several cases of shotgun shells . Game wardens investigated and no one came forth with evidence.
A GOOD PLUMBER DOESN'T BLAME HIS TOOLS
User avatar
The Pas Swamp Donkey
hunter
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:29 pm

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:35 am

Greenheadindy wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Crawfishermen here put a hurting on them.

This. It's hilarious how mad the crawfishermen and crawfish farmers are at the cormorants.


Are they as mad as people in the Dakotas are at prairie dogs?

worse....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Greenheadindy wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Crawfishermen here put a hurting on them.

This. It's hilarious how mad the crawfishermen and crawfish farmers are at the cormorants.


Are they as mad as people in the Dakotas are at prairie dogs?

worse....

much worse....
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Greenheadindy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:44 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Greenheadindy wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Crawfishermen here put a hurting on them.

This. It's hilarious how mad the crawfishermen and crawfish farmers are at the cormorants.


Are they as mad as people in the Dakotas are at prairie dogs?

worse....

much worse....


Dang, that's serious hate. Do the cormorants eat the crayfish or does the hatred come from elsewhere?
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Here the islands on the Columbia are a major breeding ground so people are known to release raccoons to eat the eggs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
User avatar
wetgoldenretriever
hunter
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: The willamette valley

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:59 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:Here the islands on the Columbia are a major breeding ground so people are known to release raccoons to eat the eggs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good use of raccoons...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Greenheadindy wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Greenheadindy wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Crawfishermen here put a hurting on them.

This. It's hilarious how mad the crawfishermen and crawfish farmers are at the cormorants.


Are they as mad as people in the Dakotas are at prairie dogs?

worse....

much worse....


Dang, that's serious hate. Do the cormorants eat the crayfish or does the hatred come from elsewhere?

I don't have any scientific (experimental) knowledge, facts, or stats of the situation, nor do I believe the farmer I talked to does, but I would have to believe cormorants are hell on the crawfish population.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:58 pm

MODuckkiller wrote:
Greenheadindy wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Greenheadindy wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Crawfishermen here put a hurting on them.

This. It's hilarious how mad the crawfishermen and crawfish farmers are at the cormorants.


Are they as mad as people in the Dakotas are at prairie dogs?

worse....

much worse....


Dang, that's serious hate. Do the cormorants eat the crayfish or does the hatred come from elsewhere?

I don't have any scientific (experimental) knowledge, facts, or stats of the situation, nor do I believe the farmer I talked to does, but I would have to believe cormorants are hell on the crawfish population.

yes, they do eat crawfish....shrimp too.
crawfish farmers will also shoot egrets on the ponds. all perfectly legal with crop deprivation permits.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
Greenheadindy wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Greenheadindy wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Crawfishermen here put a hurting on them.

This. It's hilarious how mad the crawfishermen and crawfish farmers are at the cormorants.


Are they as mad as people in the Dakotas are at prairie dogs?

worse....

much worse....


Dang, that's serious hate. Do the cormorants eat the crayfish or does the hatred come from elsewhere?

I don't have any scientific (experimental) knowledge, facts, or stats of the situation, nor do I believe the farmer I talked to does, but I would have to believe cormorants are hell on the crawfish population.

yes, they do eat crawfish....shrimp too.
crawfish farmers will also shoot egrets on the ponds. all perfectly legal with crop deprivation permits.

I can't even imagine what kind of shoot that must be. There were probably 300-400 cormorants on the rice field I hunted in last year, and it was only a 3 or 4 acre field! The poule d'eau were in there tick as well.
I'm sure it gets worse than that though.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:54 pm

if there is one bird that can't be shot, and you wanna post a pic of it without worrying about people turning you in, the cormorant is def that bird.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
User avatar
MinnesotaDan
hunter
 
Posts: 4386
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:33 am
Location: Out Here

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Blast & Cast » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:23 pm

That is not a Cormorant it is a Anhinga, we call them water turkeys down here in Florida. Like the Cormorant they are also protected under the "Federal Migratory Bird Act".
Also you were the only one out there because the season does not start here in Florida until the 23rd. You were hunting a week early. It is your lucky day, an FWC officer would have had a field day with you guys.
You should delete your post.
Blast & Cast
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Blast & Cast wrote:That is not a Cormorant it is a Anhinga, we call them water turkeys down here in Florida. Like the Cormorant they are also protected under the "Federal Migratory Bird Act".
Also you were the only one out there because the season does not start here in Florida until the 23rd. You were hunting a week early. It is your lucky day, an FWC officer would have had a field day with you guys.
You should delete your post.

huh....never knew their was a difference. Learn something new every day.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Blast & Cast wrote:That is not a Cormorant it is a Anhinga, we call them water turkeys down here in Florida. Like the Cormorant they are also protected under the "Federal Migratory Bird Act".
Also you were the only one out there because the season does not start here in Florida until the 23rd. You were hunting a week early. It is your lucky day, an FWC officer would have had a field day with you guys.
You should delete your post.

ooops..
Florida 2013-2014 Waterfowl Season Dates
Early Season Canada Goose:
Sept. 7-25, 2013


Special September Season Teal and Wood Duck:
Sept. 21-25, 2013


Regular Season (Ducks, Coots, and Light Geese):
Nov. 23 - Dec. 1, 2013 and Dec. 7, 2013 - Jan. 26, 2014


Regular Season Canada Goose:
Nov. 23, 2013 - Jan. 30, 2014

Youth Duck and Goose:
Feb. 1-2, 2014
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Anhinga...... Cow Island in the basin was full of these fish eating monsters.

imagesCACN9OYG.jpg
imagesCACN9OYG.jpg (39.71 KiB) Viewed 202 times
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 2531
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:42 pm

D Comeaux wrote:Anhinga...... Cow Island in the basin was full of these fish eating monsters.

imagesCACN9OYG.jpg

I always just called them cormorants...never knew.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 57526
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Delta1389 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Blast & Cast wrote:That is not a Cormorant it is a Anhinga, we call them water turkeys down here in Florida. Like the Cormorant they are also protected under the "Federal Migratory Bird Act".
Also you were the only one out there because the season does not start here in Florida until the 23rd. You were hunting a week early. It is your lucky day, an FWC officer would have had a field day with you guys.
You should delete your post.


Aaaaaaank! Wrong. It is a cormorant. Anhinga have a straight beak with no hook on the end and silver feathers on their back. Cormorants have hooked beaks. Anhingas are year round residents here. The cormorants start showing up in the fall by the thousands. I can remember growing up watching them come down the bayou like a freeway. Literally thousands if not more birds passing in the mornings taking 5 minutes or more to pass. Haven't seen anything like it in some time but it was a yearly occurrence. Of course down here you call either of them their real name and you will get a funny look. We hae a special name for them, which I cannot utter here lol.
Delta1389
hunter
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:00 am
Location: Morgan City, La

Re: Black swan in Florida! Great opening weekend surprise.

Postby Blast & Cast » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Now that I look at pictures of them you are right. I thought cormorants had more of a hooked bill but they all do not. I did not know that there are 6 different species of cormorants in N. America. I'm going to check out what we have on our marshes here next time I'm out. Still illegal to shoot. I'm sure the FWC has already seen the picture and have a location already.
Blast & Cast
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], JustinSmith, mrjingles, rank duck, T Man and 29 guests