New Camera

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

New Camera

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:00 pm

I want to buy a new camera and not spend a ton and i think I found what I want for under $300.

I was looking at the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and was looking for opinions and advice. I wan to be able to take pictures of the kids and have the zoom. Use it for some waterfowl pictures but I don't need a fabulous cameras like the digital SLR or DSLR camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042201canons2is.asp

Ideas and thoughts. The S3 cost a lot more and give little extra.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Kiskadinna » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:17 pm

I'd say thats a real good buy. While I typically still prefer at least 6 MP, the average photographer is not going to benefit greatly from much higher. At 5.1 Megapixels, if you get images printed, you can expect a pro quality image at a size of 9x12" and since most people will never blow up images this large, I think that's a fine decision. The capabilities of the lens that you're looking at are very good, and the DIGIC II Processor is very nice. Shutter speead is very good, and the zoom is very good. I say go for it, just get a bigger SD Cardright away so you can take mroe than a dozen pictures.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:42 am

I am going to buy a 1GB sd card right way ad get a few as spares later. I would like a really nice DSLR camera but I want one the wife can shoot and that is where this one fits the bill.

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby portahunter » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:33 pm

I might finally be gettin a camera that I can take some ok pictures with. :getdown:

It's a Kodak EashShare Z650. It's 6 megapixels and has a 10x optical zoom/ 5x digital zoom. It's not a high dollar camera, but it's basically free. My mom getting it for me as an early birthday present ( by 6 months). :getdown:
portahunter
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:07 pm

portahunter wrote:I might finally be gettin a camera that I can take some ok pictures with. :getdown:

It's a Kodak EashShare Z650. It's 6 megapixels and has a 10x optical zoom/ 5x digital zoom. It's not a high dollar camera, but it's basically free. My mom getting it for me as an early birthday present ( by 6 months). :getdown:

Nice,
I use an easy share every day for work and find them a very user friendly camera. You should be happy with that one.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:28 am

I just ordered the S2 IS so I will give a report on it later. The user reviews on line where great. :thumbsup:

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jasonphoto01 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:52 am

yeah please let us know how you like it!
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:21 pm

What camera are you using Jason? I figured you would be using on of them expesive DSLR's

Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jasonphoto01 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:02 pm

i shoot a few different formats but for wildlife i mainly use a canon 30D but will get a eos-1ds when i save enough money. Ill use a hasselblad medium format on occasion.
jasonphoto01
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum