Ducks are hard to figure

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Ducks are hard to figure

Postby golferboy426 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:09 pm

The 1/2 acre pond or so in the back of my house has a dozen mallards, a dozen blacks and maybe 6 woodies. They stay there day & night yet where I hunt in the same town about 2 miles away on a swamp about 1 1/2 mile long, they spend the night and leave with only a few there during the day. The ones by my house are migratory too as they weren't there till a week or so ago
golferboy426
hunter

Re: Ducks are hard to figure

Postby toolmaker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:13 pm

golferboy426 wrote:The 1/2 acre pond or so in the back of my house has a dozen mallards, a dozen blacks and maybe 6 woodies. They stay there day & night yet where I hunt in the same town about 2 miles away on a swamp about 1 1/2 mile long, they spend the night and leave with only a few there during the day. The ones by my house are migratory too as they weren't there till a week or so ago

what are the common and uncommon denominators???????/

HUNTING....is a BIG ONE

the ducks can react fast to it. thats why burning a spot can kill it.

dont give up your sweet spots

last week ducks were everywhere...this week most moved out

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby golferboy426 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:22 pm

even before the season begins, the roost swamp is just a roost swamp, hardly ever has more than a dozen of ducks during the day except when a resting flock shows up.
golferboy426
hunter

Postby Citori16 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:40 am

I sat at an old public standby Saturday thinking that the ducks would be there, as there are about 50 at a pond not too far away, along with about 200 geese. I watched flocks of geese veer away from the fields and swamp of this particular location, and I'm sure they didn't see me or my spread. A flock of 6 woodies(?) zipped over the dry land not even bothering to follow the creek. In the evening, a pair of small ducks (teal?, mergs?) swam up to within 40 yds but did not offer a good shot when I stood up to get a better look.

Burn out is almost inevitable in CT.
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Postby PassinthruOutdoors » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:35 am

Waterfowl react to changes quickly. Weather (rain, wind, tides, etc), food sources, hunting and predator pressure and how long they have been around an area. They learn quick and to be successful you have to change with them and learn from them. Unfortunately sometimes you have no choice but to hunt a specific spot because that is all you have. scout, scout and scout some more if you can. Frustrating but also what makes it fun for me. Hang int here.
PassinthruOutdoors
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting