ATV or SxS?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Re: ATV or SxS?

Postby MRussell » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:50 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:But in the utv world gators are the best. Hands down, we have them at work and they are pretty impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.
MRussell
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:36 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:1990s Cherokee, arb locked front and rear on 38.5" boggers and buy 10 grand worth of decoys :). I would love a utv but I couldn't justify spending 15 grand on one.

Sold a 89 chevy on 38's lock front and rear about a year ago. Don't need another money pit.
t_baker
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:38 pm

t_baker wrote:
wetgoldenretriever wrote:1990s Cherokee, arb locked front and rear on 38.5" boggers and buy 10 grand worth of decoys :). I would love a utv but I couldn't justify spending 15 grand on one.

Sold a 89 chevy on 38's lock front and rear about a year ago. Don't need another money pit.

You sure? I can make you a good deal on an 83 CJ-7.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby t_baker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 pm

La. Hunter wrote:
t_baker wrote:

You sure? I can make you a good deal on an 83 CJ-7.

Positive. I had better than 18K in that truck and sold it for 6500.
t_baker
hunter

Postby bighop » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:15 pm

t_baker wrote:

Pretty sure a SxS is going to be another money pit too...

Trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on a Ranger 6x6 with some issues for a deal I may not be able to pass up...
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby t_baker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:59 pm

bighop wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Pretty sure a SxS is going to be another money pit too...

Trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger on a Ranger 6x6 with some issues for a deal I may not be able to pass up...

Initial investment. But i wont drop money like my truck on it

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
t_baker
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:16 pm

I've always thought it would be fun to build a truck just for ducking and mud though like a 1 ton Chevy on ag tires with a snorkel etc, just because the hunting itself isn't Expensive enough.

dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:50 am

Did they change the drive systems on the gators so when you drive in water you don't have to sit there with the clutch slipping?
The one we have at work is 6-8 years old and has an "open" clutch. Once it gets wet you are "dead in the water", no pun intended.........

Unless you have a lot of "ranch" type duties to perform with it I'd go with an ATV. They are still more manuverable (particularly in wooded areas), a little less bulky and most still fit in the back of a truck so you don't have to trailer them. I was looking at someones polaris SXS the other day and it was as big (actually a little taller) as the tracker my brother owned.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:58 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:Did they change the drive systems on the gators so when you drive in water you don't have to sit there with the clutch slipping?
The one we have at work is 6-8 years old and has an "open" clutch. Once it gets wet you are "dead in the water", no pun intended.........

Unless you have a lot of "ranch" type duties to perform with it I'd go with an ATV. They are still more manuverable (particularly in wooded areas), a little less bulky and most still fit in the back of a truck so you don't have to trailer them. I was looking at someones polaris SXS the other day and it was as big (actually a little taller) as the tracker my brother owned.

Pretty sure the drive system is better. Not to worried about putting it in my truck. I have a trailer hooked more times than I dont or so it seems.

t_baker
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:59 am

SxS............JD Gator or Canam Commander
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:44 am

I have driven one thru water up to the intake and it didn't skip a beat.

wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:05 pm

can-am or yamaha sxs foe real there the bomb

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Nay

wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:20 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:can-am or yamaha sxs foe real there the bomb

Your mom lets you drive those?
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:57 pm

yea man! solo all day rides on the trails of the U P are the best!

If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Botiz630 wrote:

Only if she follows inda truck
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: I'm borderline retarded .
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Botiz630 wrote:

Dont pollute my thread with his mommy issues.

t_baker
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:19 pm

SXS are for fat guys that can't swing their leg over the seat........................ :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:43 am

I was in the same boat a year ago, trying to decide what I wanted. I never ended up buying on, but here's my input:

Will you plow snow with it? Probably not since it seems like you always are dealing with plow trucks.

Trailer and use of trailer. As far as pulling a trailer, they are all gonna do ok for what you could load in one. If you want to forego a trailer, a UTV with bed is nice.

Do you have a tractor with a loader? Reason I ask, will you be doing light material handling or handloading stuff (firewood, hunting stuff etc.) If you aren't gonna use it as a gas powered wheel barrow, options change a bit.

If you do more recreational riding then work, I'd lean ATV. If not,get UTV if the price tag isn't a deciding factor. So then you have to look at do you want a work, middle of the line, or sport type UTV. What is the width of trails if you trail ride. You'll either have to cut your own or have one with small enough wheelbase to fit.

As already covered, RTV's are sweet for a farm. My mom has one. You can load up the bed with gravel and it dumps like it's empty. That being said, it's slow as chit, it is a dog off road and you are constantly getting stuck. Personally, I'd lean the Ranger / Teryx route and look into a hydraulic lift bed. L&L said he has a Teryx that he liked...
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby 18javelin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:04 am

OmegaRed wrote:I was in the same boat a year ago, trying to decide what I wanted. I never ended up buying on, but here's my input:

Will you plow snow with it? Probably not since it seems like you always are dealing with plow trucks.

Trailer and use of trailer. As far as pulling a trailer, they are all gonna do ok for what you could load in one. If you want to forego a trailer, a UTV with bed is nice.

Do you have a tractor with a loader? Reason I ask, will you be doing light material handling or handloading stuff (firewood, hunting stuff etc.) If you aren't gonna use it as a gas powered wheel barrow, options change a bit.

If you do more recreational riding then work, I'd lean ATV. If not,get UTV if the price tag isn't a deciding factor. So then you have to look at do you want a work, middle of the line, or sport type UTV. What is the width of trails if you trail ride. You'll either have to cut your own or have one with small enough wheelbase to fit.

As already covered, RTV's are sweet for a farm. My mom has one. You can load up the bed with gravel and it dumps like it's empty. That being said, it's slow as chit, it is a dog off road and you are constantly getting stuck. Personally, I'd lean the Ranger / Teryx route and look into a hydraulic lift bed. L&L said he has a Teryx that he liked...

^^^^^^^^^ Copy and Pasted from better homes and gardens^^^^^^^^^

HONDA! I haven't rode one but who can deny reliability of a Honda? I have rode the Razor and the John deere (Not new ones) The deere parts are so Expensive for and almost no aftermarket.... Polaris I never have had a liking for them (they are badass) but to many problems I have seen from friends SXS and 4 wheelers... Can Ams look badass but haven't been around a SXS but rode their 4 wheeler the DS 450 peel your eyes back... OMC was bought by Bombardier and my boat motor was just out of warranty and they approved fixes and paid for them to it so they seem to stand behind what they sell.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:02 pm

Sxs........I have the ranger 700 and love it
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:00 pm

I got a Kawasaki teryx4 cus I have a family that likes to do some trail riding in nicer weather. Then in Dec and Jan I can get 4 ppl to the duck blind. I hunted a flooded rice field last year in mo and never had a prob. A 4wheeler would've had to make 3 or 4 trips to get all the gear out there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
no3topqb
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Hands down for best all around fun, work, hunting I'd go with a JD gator 825i or Ranger.

I run a 2013 825i at work on a cattle ranch.... It'll run 45mph so it gets around quick and hauls a good amount of stuff when I need to repair fence, bucket feed, clean up tree branches, etc. never had a problem with power either, even in high it doesnt break a sweat with a bed full of fire wood piled over the cab. very quality unit, My boss got the one with glass front and back, fancy wheels and Maxxis Big Horn tires that really chew through the stuff... the old 850D (diesel) gator would have got stuck in... it was also limited to 30mph.

I would steer you away a kubota or anything Kawasaki. the hydro drive is horrible in the kubota rtv, kawi in general for my family has been nothing but trouble. My grandpa has a rtv900.. hydro trans wants to throw you through the windshield if you let off, gets locked in gear so much that they had to make a pressure release on it, rough ride, gutless, and just darn slow. We have a 3010 mule with a full steel and glass cab, heat, radio and such.. use it for hunting and some joy riding.... its busted a cv axle, exploded the rear diff, constantly have to adjust the cables for 4wd and H-L-N-R, shredded a belt, and its still pretty dang slow.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:12 pm

I would get an ATV if it is just you every single time... but if you need to haul gear and a buddy.. SxS every time!

here is the 825i I have at work!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:17 pm

MRussell wrote:
wetgoldenretriever wrote:But in the utv world gators are the best. Hands down, we have them at work and they are pretty impressive

Agreed.

I would also agree, having driven MOST major UTV/SxS's out there. best all around IMO.

I've driven JD 825i and 850D (newer 825i was much nicer both had tons of power and reliable), Kawasaki mule 3010(ours, does ok for hunting), Kabota rtv900 (lame as all get out and the worst UTV out there), Polaris ranger briefly (compareable to a gator but a little bulkier), yamaha rhino (too small for a real UTV and under powered for a work/ hunting rig)

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole