Questions for our visit to NY

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: DukBum, 870

Postby PSUbuzz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Im coming up with some friends from MD next week to hunt one of the guy's properties in the North zone just east of the finger lakes. They have hunted on the 1 guys property before a few times over the last 3 years, but I have not, and we are coming for 5 days. Myself and 1 other guy that are our best scouters down here in Maryland are driving up over night for 8 hours to get there by first light to scout the 1 pond we know we can hunt. Our problem is, we are there for 5 days, and in years past, apparently its a 1 morning shoot and done, the birds dont use it anymore.

Here is where I am asking help from fellow DHC'ers. I dont want anyone's spots or where the birds are(unless you want to tell me then by all means shoot me a PM!). My plan is to watch the morning flight on the property we have, then while birds are still in fields and waterways early in the morning, We are going to scout around as much as possible, and knock on some doors to ask permssion. The question for you guys is do you need written permission from landowners or just verbal? I hunt many states and I know it varies from state to state. MD you absolutely need written permission even just for 1 hunt, even if the land isnt posted. In PA, verbal is enough, and if its not posted, you can hunt it, but asking permission even if its not posted is a good gesture. Any tips on knocking on doors is appreciated, im not afraid of hearing a no or knocking on a door. I will do my homework and put the miles on looking. I just didnt want to step on any toes or give the waterfowlers bad names by showing up and shootin birds and upsetting any locals. Thanks guys!

Buzz

Buzz
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby turf » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:31 pm

You don't need written permission, but in case of a problem it would be good to have, as of now you will spend more time scouting than hunting unless the weather changes, oh and posted or not you need permission
turf
hunter

Re: Questions for our visit to NY

Postby PSUbuzz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Yea, im pretty used to putting in about 3 times as many hours scouting as I do hunting. Im not from the bay area of Maryland, Im from the "mountain" region of western MD where we have to work really hard and scout hard for just a few birds. Ive been watching the weather, looks like a pretty good freeze coming next weekend right in the middle of our trip. So we will focus on the ponds early in the trip and try to find some moving water or spring fed ponds or fields for when it freezes up.

One more question, in PA, there is a law that any "navigable" waterway is open to waterfowling just so as long as you are 150yds from an occupied building. The landowner does not own a navigable waterway's river bottom or the water passing through it, as long as your feet are wet. Maryland on the other hand the landowner typically owns the bottom and banks and water running through it. Is there something like any of that in NY or just knock on the door of the landowner that owns the banks of the creek?

Im looking into some maps in the area around where well be, and theres a good bit of creeks and streams around. I think thatll probably be where we will have to head to once the ponds start locking up
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting