Boat Plug Question

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Boat Plug Question

Postby AnonymousDuck » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:11 pm

I'm a complete novice at boats and I picked this one up to try and learn to fix it up myself. The drain hole for the plug has been sealed, I have no idea why. I'm certain I can unscrew the plug, but if I do is there a chance I'll have messed up the integrity of the area? I have an extra plug to test it if I do. Or, should I ask someone with more experience to help me?

Outside bottom.

Inside. :huh:
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Re: Boat Plug Question

Postby Boatman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:34 pm

You should be ok unscrewing the screw. You will need that to unscrew when it gets water in it.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Boatman wrote:You should be ok unscrewing the screw. You will need that to unscrew when it gets water in it.

Nice! So, if I understand you correctly, the screw is the plug?

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:03 pm

It appears that way

Shouted from the bottom of a well
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby AnonymousDuck » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will see if it works tomorrow.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby Boatman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:45 am

AnonymousDuck wrote:
Boatman wrote:You should be ok unscrewing the screw. You will need that to unscrew when it gets water in it.

Nice! So, if I understand you correctly, the screw is the plug?

Yes!
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Looks like a screw was put in from the bottom. It is supposed to be put in from the inside of the boat so it can be removed when pulled up on shore or while underway and that shroud will cause a suction to help pull the water in the boat out through the hole. Those plugs were generally made of plastic and had a large surface area grip to screw them in and out. These plugs were quite common on the older Crestliner boats.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Okay ran into a problem. I cannot get the plug out, won't budge inside or out. Knowing it was put in backwards makes a difference lol. So now what? Do I drill it out? Also, if I do have to pull it out that way it will ruin the plug, does that plug ha a name? I've never seen one like it. Or can I at that point put a standard plug in?

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Boat Plug Question

Postby yareelohim » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Where is that plug located on the boat?

Looks almost like a livewell plug, usually in the center and bottom of the boat.

Your drain plug should be in the transom area.

Edit:
Never mind, I am assuming that is near the transom since I can see your feet in the picture and assuming this is not a livewell plug. How thick is the aluminum there? If it's thick enough I would drill that plug out and use a rubber drain plug instead of screw in.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:44 pm

This whole thing looks bad. ALTERNATEL1: I would take a 1/8" Ø drill and drill out all the rivets around the plug carrier and that one that isn't part of the carrier. Remove the carrier and put it in a drill press and drill out the "bolt" with an appropriate size drill. The threads should be good in the aluminum carrier from how it looks to me so be careful drilling it, then use a step drill or a tapered reamer to expand the hole until you will see the threads. Then clean them out carefully with a steel tooth pick. ALTERNATEL2: you should determine the material the screw is made from using a magnet, if it sticks it's steel and if it is then find a heavy washer that will fit inside the lips of the carrier and arc weld it to the screw, then weld a nut to the washer and then use a ratchet wrench and socket to try to remove it, cool it down with water after you weld the nut on. ALTERNATEL3: heat the hell out of it with a propane or brazing torch and try a proper fitting screwdriver to the screw and a 12 inch adjustable wrench on the blade end next to the screw to try to turn it out counter clockwise. After you remove the screw from the carrier and get it cleaned up to receive a new plastic live well plug, which I believe this was designed for, then you put it back in place, held with a couple 1/8"Ø pop rivets or sheet metal screws to hold it in the same place it came out of and then re-drill all the holes with a 3/16"Ø drill bit and use swage style Aluminum rivets to hold the carrier back in place. A bit of 3M 4200 would be helpful on the mating surfaces.
This look like a big job but with the proper tools and a bit of effort it can be put back in original condition.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Bad Dog » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:35 pm

I know this was originally posted a couple month's ago. Are you still working on the boat? It looks like a lot of caulk inside that boat. Was that from you or a previous owner? Please post a couple pics the entire boat. If it's not too late, and that fitting doesn't leak, I would leave it alone.
Bad Dog
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Looks like a ton of rubberized sealant on the bottom of the boat. I would be prepared for a few leaks. Also will affect your boats speed as the sealant creates drag at higher speeds. If your going to put around and not get on plane, I wouldn't worry. My experience is, if someone has put that much time and effort into repairing the boat on the bottom you will most likely run into a few additional issues. Might need to replace some rivets. Good luck with your project.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby midaoutlaw » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:13 am

AnonymousDuck wrote:I'm a complete novice at boats and I picked this one up to try and learn to fix it up myself. The drain hole for the plug has been sealed, I have no idea why. I'm certain I can unscrew the plug, but if I do is there a chance I'll have messed up the integrity of the area? I have an extra plug to test it if I do. Or, should I ask someone with more experience to help me?

Outside bottom.

Inside. :huh:

Leave it alone. install a bilge pump.
midaoutlaw
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:44 pm

From the looks of the bedliner coating on the bottom. I would heat the plug with a torch then see if you can back it out.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds