New Boat Advice

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

New Boat Advice

Postby PDCootShooter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:38 pm

So I'm thinking about a new boat, I've got my eye on a 1860 cc alumacraft with a yahmaha 115 on the back. I currently hunt out of a Polarkraft 1756 SE side console with a yahmaha 50, it's a great little boat that has served me well for the last 5 years I'm just wanting somthing a little bigger (mainly a bigger engine). My hunting mostly consist of central NC and 6 or 8 trips to the coast a year (neuse river juniper bay areas). My hunting party usually consist of no more than 3 ppl and a 1 dog. I've talked to one guy and he's suggesting I move into the 2072. Seeing the boats side by side the 20 seems like it dwarfs the 18 to me! I know I'll have lots more room in the 20, but my question is will there be that much diffrence between the two as far as performance and handling goes? Another concern of mine is hiding the 20 I don't hunt from the boat I always hide it and hunt away from it. Some of the places I hunt I can barely hide the boat I've got now! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
PDCootShooter
hunter

Re: New Boat Advice

Postby petrel » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07 am

I moved up from an 1848 Lowe to a 2066 Phowler. We don't hunt from the boat either. Hiding it is no big deal. However, the increase in space, stability and load handling was remarkable. You really appreciate the stability when picking up a big spread of decoys or working on blinds. I don't have anywhere near the horsepower you are fixing to get, so I can't help you out with performance. I run a mud motor on mine.

By the way, if you are going to drop some coin on a new rig, you may want to take a look at a custom or semi-custom boat. For that kind of money, you might as well get it set up exactly how you want it.
petrel
hunter

Postby Percy86 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:55 am

You will lose some floor space moving from a SC to a CC; it will at least feel that way since the floor space is divided. If you fish a lot the CC is most likely the way to go. If it is strictly a duck boat, consider a 1860 w/tiller 90, you'll keep weight down and maximize space.

I just picked up my new may-craft 1800 w/a yami 115 (1400 lbs dry). I thought I wanted a 140/150, but that motor has plenty of get up and go. I think you'll find the same with a aluminum 1860 and a 90...unless you're trying to run 50 to the blind. A buddy's CC G3 runs 40+ w/a 90.
Percy86
hunter

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:59 am

For the big water definitely go with the 20 footer
The 18' will get you by 9 out of 10 times but that 1 time the weather is nasty you will be wishing you had the 20
If you go with the 18' a 90hp will be plenty of motor
The 115hp will be better suited for the 20'
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby Metalman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:10 am

20' plus...great idea. (hiding these boats is easy)
115 hp...even better idea.
CC...best idea. (will keep you dry in the spray)
With 6 to 8 trips to the east, you'll be glad to have the bigger boat, and the added floor space and storage.
I have a 2070 Crestliner w/ SC with Yam 115.. It has served me well, but I still wish I had something like a 20' Maycraft CC.
With a lay-out boat, Seaduck rigs, Full array of Divers, and Puddle duck decoys. 3 to 4 hunters and their gear, and 2 or 3 dogs, even a 20' boat can get crowded quick. Good luck with new boat. Also, if you can wait, their will be some bargains in February after season ends. :thumbsup:
Put that duck call in your pocket, you're not that good, and you're flaring birds
http://www.CaptGarysDowneast.com
I support "Safe Hunter Law"
Tip your guide! He can't control the ducks or how poorly you shoot!
Metalman
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:21 am

Bigger boat = safer in bigger water. A 2072 crest liner is what imo.
NCfowl
hunter

Postby weps10 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:47 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:For the big water definitely go with the 20 footer
The 18' will get you by 9 out of 10 times but that 1 time the weather is nasty you will be wishing you had the 20
If you go with the 18' a 90hp will be plenty of motor
The 115hp will be better suited for the 20'

Agreed. When the weather is not as you would wish the larger boat with a 115 sure makes the ride a bit nicer.
"To achieve true happiness in life, a man must get lucky twice. First, he must own a great bird dog, to preoccupy his mind and satisfy his days. Second, he must find a great woman, to preoccupy his heart and fulfill his nights."Jim Slinsky
weps10
hunter

Postby fowledup2072 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:01 pm

I have the Alumacraft 2072. Solid Boat, lots of room. Mine has a 90hp and does just under 40MPH loaded with gear. It is big and a hard to conceal, but I built a blind on mine and add local vegetation to it when I get set up. It is also nice to have a little bigger boat when its time to fish and hang out in the summer. Good Luck.
fowledup2072
Newb

Postby apexhunter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:44 am

If you are going with a CC then definitely step up to the 20' to have enough room for people and gear. Not only is a 20 footer longer but are proportionally wider making them ride better and much more dry while providing much more floor space for decoys & gear. One benefit of a SC is the rear bench seat gives you more seating space for hunting partners to sit and it opens up the middle of the boat for possible seat mounts if you chose to hunt from the boat. Plus the area in front of a SC is perfect for a gun or dry box mounted to the gunwhale. My 18' CC wound up being a PITA to hunt from because the front seat on the console was so close to the front deck the middle and front guys were virtually bumping knees (yours may not have this but even a simple console without a seat/livewell takes up a bunch of space).

As for hiding the boat, go to a military surplus store and get a parachute. They make great lightweight covers that don't absorb water and you can paint stripes of camo to match the surroundings to completely cover the craft.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting