Up for a challenge? New dog or dogs

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Up for a challenge? New dog or dogs

Postby Holeinmywaders » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:49 am

I have a soft heart for a dog in need. I have a friend who had an oops litter and just wants to get rid of them so I said I would take one. I got pick of the litter for a couple bottles of home made wine perfect price. :biggrin:

So I take my wife to see the litter and I picked the silver female. These are Labbish Weimaramers. But there was one pup who had some type of brain injury, I actually think that it happened at about 3 or 4 days old about the time that the nervous system is developed. Anyway this pup kind of stumbles around but we went to see them last night and it seemed to be better. My wife is kind of attached and asked me to give up my pick to take this one. I am not sure how well it will do for a hunter.

Anyone else deal with something similar? Should I make my wife happy and change my pick? I suggested that we take both but I am not sure if two pups is a great idea. We have to make the decision this week because we are getting them on Friday.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Re: Up for a challenge? New dog or dogs

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:17 am

You raise two points -

Call me negative but first with the stumbling puppy .... Is the breeder SURE this was an injury? Have the sire and dam been tested for CNM? Stumbling and lack of muscularity development can be a sign of this genetic issue. Hopefully this is NOT the case for this puppy but if this is the case, the outlook for this pup is not good. Do you really want to take a pup and have to possibly make a gut wrenching decision due to the possible increase in severity of this health issue? As we all know this decision is difficult enough to make when our dogs our senior citizens. Another reason why IMHO getting a dog from a litter where both parents have full health clearances is so important.

Second point .... I would never sell two pups from the same litter to one family. It sounds like a cute idea ... The pups can be buddies ... but this is not like having an older dog and introducing a new pup. Two pups are not double the work they can be three, four, five times the work depending on the task you are training. For example housebreaking can be extended for a much longer period if one dog is slower than the other on "getting it" and is still making mistakes in the house. As well your training time (obedience, hunt training, etc) will need to be doubled so each pup gets one on one training time with you.

We decided to keep a pup from a recent litter and due to unforeseen circumstances with one of the puppy buyers have had one of the litter mates returned to us. The pup who came back is a great little guy and I am glad he's here, but I now totally understand the breeder years ago when we raised the same question told us " we will happily sell you a puppy, but if you insist on buying two I would suggest you go elsewhere." We have raised and trained a number of puppies / dogs and I would not suggest two puppies at one time to anyone unless they are experienced dog people and have LOTS of time on their hands ... This is definitely not quite as easy as it sounds.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:55 am

Thanks for the reply. You make great points. These are mutts pure and simple so who knows what is wrong with the little one.

I am just cautious about this situation. I am still trying to decide what to do.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 am

Holeinmywaders ... Good for you if you take the little guy, but just wanted you to make sure you (and your wife) think more with your head than with your heart.

If the breeders feel that something happened / is happening with that one pup, they should be making room in their home to keep it rather than selling it to a family that is looking for a new family member. THAT is part of being a breeder!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:29 am

I would never start with an animal that has a known problem when you want a hunting dog. My family has turned some strange breeds into hunting dogs over the years. We even had a miniature Dachsund that was an excellent upland dog, and a terror on pheasants. The key was that all of them were healthy. I understand that your wife is being soft hearted, that is not a good thing when it come to dogs. Your vet bills alone can easily reach the thousands on such a dog. Healthy dogs run up vet bills enough as it is.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:43 pm

I am now to this point in my thought process. I already have a hunting dog that hunts pretty good. He does what I need.
Why did I agree to take a dog? To help out a friend. Maybe I am making the wife happy by taking the special dog and if you believe in God maybe that was the intention.

Does he need to hunt? No. Would it be cool if I could turn her into a good dog with a funny tick? Yeah. I am a project person. Not all of them turn out but I might just give up my pick since the silver one will be gone in a flash. Then everyone is happy.

Still debating.....
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby RShockley » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:04 pm

As long as you are prepared for the possible vet bills that might come slong with a pup with a known problem i would say get it. You already stated that you have a good hunting dog. With them being mutts you never know what your going to get anyways. If it ends up healthy and hunting all the better. Always a good idea to keep the wife happy as well. My only real concern would be the possible health issue and what that issue might cost in the long run. It might end up costing a lot more the 2 bottles of homemade wine.
RShockley
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:10 am

Are you nuts? A lab-Weimar cross, and two of them? One with problems? Let him euthanize the whole litter and get yourself a decent dog. You're going to put a lot of time and money into that dog; you'll be far happier with a well bred dog than a curr. Never, ever take your wife to look at a hunting pup until you have found a well bred litter and are ready to buy one.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:57 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Are you nuts? A lab-Weimar cross, and two of them? One with problems? Let him euthanize the whole litter and get yourself a decent dog. You're going to put a lot of time and money into that dog; you'll be far happier with a well bred dog than a curr. Never, ever take your wife to look at a hunting pup until you have found a well bred litter and are ready to buy one.

Yikes ...,
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby QAHONKER » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:45 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Are you nuts? A lab-Weimar cross, and two of them? One with problems? Let him euthanize the whole litter and get yourself a decent dog. You're going to put a lot of time and money into that dog; you'll be far happier with a well bred dog than a curr. Never, ever take your wife to look at a hunting pup until you have found a well bred litter and are ready to buy one.

Kinda harsh there man.....he said he was not really looking for one, this just happened along. nothing wrong with a mix breed pup as I personally run a GSP/Lab mix he does great in both upland and waterfowl. Sometimes people do look for companion dogs just to have, so that's where a pup like this could be a good thing. Not everyone has a specific need for a MHJHPHD type dog bro just my 2 cents but I support the decision to take a chance and who knows could end up with a new best friend
FOILES MIGRATORS
QAHONKER
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:06 am

I thought I had posted an update. So here goes.

I decided to take my original pick because both dogs were interested in a duck wing but the silver one was actually making a retrieve on it, as much as you might expect a 7 week pup to do. The special one just didn't have the coordination. I told my wife that it would never be able to swim. The vet had told them that they should find an older person looking for a companion dog, and the Vet just shrugged her shoulders when they said it might go to a family with 9 kids.

I am going to really try to help them find a home for the special one. She was so sweet and friendly. She would still make a great dog for someone really wanting a pet that needs a mother. My wife doesn't need to be a mother to one more living thing. :biggrin:

I appreciate all the comments. I know I am nutz that is why I came here for some cold truth. Everyone was plenty civil. So thanks again.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum