Second Split Opening Weekend

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Second Split Opening Weekend

Postby UGADawg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:23 am

Hunted Saturday in CT for the duck opener. Really effed this one up. Checked tide app on my iPhone and was looking at Friday not Saturday. Got to the marsh at 4:45 with not nearly enough water to get in my spot. Called an audible and went to another ramp - at that point the low-tide spots I would normally hunt had already been taken up and I had to set up in a less than prime location. Long story short we didn't shoot a bird. Some groups seemed to have done ok but I definitely did not see the number of birds I was expecting. Also, I did get checked by state and federal officers. They were on the lookout and mentioned that they will be enforcing with a vengeance this year.

Sunday I knew I had to make up ground with the miscues of Saturday. Hunted the NY opener on state land in lower Dutchess County. I put some good time in scouting this place and it worked out very well. Ducks cupping up like they should - made for a nice hunt. 5 Drake Mallards, 1 Drake hybrid Black/Mallard and a Drake GWT.

fall8s.JPG

fall7s.JPG
Last edited by UGADawg on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UGADawg
hunter

Re: Second Split Opening Weekend

Postby Citori16 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Nice recovery!
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

Re: Second Split Opening Weekend

Postby UGADawg » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 am

Had a few of the Mallards last night for dinner - delicious.
UGADawg
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting