Question for you long liners....

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Question for you long liners....

Postby bknilvr00 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:12 am

How do you guys store your decoys? I've recently become a convert to long lines, and have discovered the pains of throwing all the dekes in a regular bag. Im forced to take them off the main line every hunt due to limited space in the boat. Is the tangling of the drop lines part of the deal regardless, or is there some tribal knowledge I haven't been bestowed yet?

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Re: Question for you long liners....

Postby Smith » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 am

I don't bag them. For my layout rig, I just put them in rows on the floor of the boat with landscape cloth or burlap in between the layers of decoys to stop the lines from dropping down and tangling with the decoys below. They never come out of the boat except when I am hunting. I keep around ten dozen in the front of my 16' tender this way.
For my sneak rig, I set decoys out the same way, but when picking up I unclip the decoys and wind the lines around a spool. I have to empty the boat when I get home and reassemble the rig for the next hunt. I only do it that way because the sneak boats are too small to move around in while out on the water.
Smith
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:20 pm

I use 55 gallon plastic barrels. I took then and put a pvc pipe in the middle. Then I wrapped them around and around. It takes up a lot of room and plan on buying bags eventually but when I get there I through them on the bank. The best thing is it takes less than a minute to put out a 50 foot longline. The down fall though is it will only hold like 25-35 decoys a barrel. But it beats unclipping and I could not afford enough bags 75 decoys this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drakenstien
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:27 pm

For space reasons, did not have but 2 barrels, and most of the time I hunt 65/45 divers/puddlers. I also have another 25 on an extension cord reel and clips. I leave those at home most of the time but bring them when I'm out front. Haven't used those yet but it cannot be as effective any as keeping them on the line. Oh by the way I use the wire type plastic coated clothesline and it's perfect. I will never use anything else. You can get it at lowes.

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby Feathers » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:08 pm

If you run GHG wrap the lines around the keel 2-3 times then use the insert on the front of the keel to clip the line in which keeps the excess line on the keel. Throw em all in one big normal decoy bag. No tangles for me. Not sure if that is an option with other decoy brands.
Feathers
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm

If your going the trash can/barrel route make sure u use tarred mainline. We use slotted bags now. Mainly use the 12 slot full body duck bags. Hold 2 decoys per slot. Don't ave any tangling issues. I just always wrap the first and last decoy so I know where to start
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:15 pm

UpSouth811 wrote:If your going the trash can/barrel route make sure u use tarred mainline. We use slotted bags now. Mainly use the 12 slot full body duck bags. Hold 2 decoys per slot. Don't ave any tangling issues. I just always wrap the first and last decoy so I know where to start

Not sure how the clothesline would work in the bags because it is pretty stiff. But are the bags worth spending $300 or more on, or just staying with the barrels. That's a decision I'm looking at making after this season.

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby k.lewis » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:47 pm

I just bag mine or take a small piece of of mainline material and tie it into a loop. And then clip 6 or so decoys on each loop, they do tangle some what but I think it tangling issuse is inevitable
k.lewis
Newb

Postby UpSouth811 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:09 pm

We had tangles with the barrels. Went to slotted bags and haven't had issues with lines getting tangled. But we didn't use tarred line when we used barrels
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Slotted bags are the ticket! Get the ones for full body decoys. You can easily get two decoys, the drop lines, and main line in the pouches. With a little practice when putting them away you can set it up so they never tangle and don't have to come off the mainline. I use 400 lb mono on 48 inch droppers so my dog can swim through the decoys.

Last year I used large plastic totes and they worked great. I made up a large spread of foam divers for this year and switched to the slotted bags to keep from beating them and the fancy paint jobs off them. I prefer the slotted bags. The fold up and tuck out of the way under the front deck once the longlines are placed.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby coloradowalt » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:06 pm

So whose slotted bags are ya'll using?
coloradowalt
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:54 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Slotted bags are the ticket! Get the ones for full body decoys. You can easily get two decoys, the drop lines, and main line in the pouches. With a little practice when putting them away you can set it up so they never tangle and don't have to come off the mainline. I use 400 lb mono on 48 inch droppers so my dog can swim through the decoys.

Last year I used large plastic totes and they worked great. I made up a large spread of foam divers for this year and switched to the slotted bags to keep from beating them and the fancy paint jobs off them. I prefer the slotted bags. The fold up and tuck out of the way under the front deck once the longlines are placed.

Is it better to have closable tops and very deep pockets

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby Drakenstien » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:56 am

Are you talking about small decoys or just regular size because I painted hot shots over to divers.

Drakenstien
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:05 am

Avery full body duck bags
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:27 am

I usually run 2-3 100ft longlines in my spread and last year I built these boxes:

each box fits a dozen decoys with each end weight and I leave them clipped on the mainline. No tangles so far and it's a pretty low-tech solution, I can ride the boxes on the front of my boat no problem.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Extension cord reel for each long line n drake big round standup bags. Pull in n wrap line up same time in clipping deke wrappin line around keel or deke n toss in it in bag..
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby boney fingers » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:42 pm

Rogers bags $30, I leave my weight in too, no tangles, deploys fast, easy to load and unload decoys out of boat , helps protect them, can be stacked, you know if you lost one, keeps boat tidy; yes they are worth the money.
boney fingers
hunter

Postby BigWater EH » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:38 am

Sash weights, main lines on reels and decoy bags.

BigWater EH
hunter

Postby Chet » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:17 pm

I use the Avery 12 slot bags. They work great and I can get eight dozen Herters 72's in my little 18x38 Go-Devil boat.

Chet
"Nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he's owned a dog. He can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." GENE HILL
Chet
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

I bag mine as one day I may run puddle ducks the nexts divers. I keep my lines on electrical spools. I run 150' rig'em right mainlines and H&R lines that hold a dozen (I like using two different lengths to break up the boxy look). All my decoys have 400# mono on them with a Gang clip.

We will drop the two layouts and as I idle up wind the two guys will be unwrapping decoys and stacking them on the side with the clips in the water. Simple as clipping and dragging from there on out. 150 block spread took us 39 minutes last saturday
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Bills n Gills » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:41 am

I use Yard clean up bags. They stand up good and will hold around 18 standard decoys. I don't use any clips to the mainline. They are just tied on. They don't tangle much at all as long as you use a decent mainline. You can get black ryobi bags at Home Depot.
They fold down flat when they are not in use so they can be stored out of the way for hunting.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/85grqs5swn4g3p1/ijgAkOR3Ue
Bills n Gills
Newb

Return to Diver Duck Hunting