Turkey Day Weekend Fun

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Turkey Day Weekend Fun

Postby MOduckMOfun » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Instead of heading out to one of the local duck parks on Thanksgiving where I've gotten turned away 2 of the last 3 years, I am gonna go out to a nice little hole I found deer hunting. For about 3 weeks I've been having a group of about 30 wood ducks and some mallards sprinkled in, working this creek inlet off a MO lake. Assuming they're still using the area at the end of next week, any suggestions on how to get in there without spooking them all of permanently?
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Re: Turkey Day Weekend Fun

Postby sehunter1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:51 pm

If you can observe them without spooking them I would dedicate a morning to study what they do. Are they roosting there, showing up to loaf or just stopping in for a drink? In my experience your best bet is to let themeave on their own then slip in with six or so of your cleanest best looking decoys, hide very well and let them trickle back in. If they show up daily I may not even take decoys.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:43 pm

sehunter1 wrote:If you can observe them without spooking them I would dedicate a morning to study what they do. Are they roosting there, showing up to loaf or just stopping in for a drink? In my experience your best bet is to let themeave on their own then slip in with six or so of your cleanest best looking decoys, hide very well and let them trickle back in. If they show up daily I may not even take decoys.

Great advice. See what they do. The knowledge you gain from this scenario will help you in any future scenarios which may have similar circumstances. If they don't call much, don't call much. If there's only 5 or 6 ducks sitting on the pond at one given time, don't throw out the whole bag.
Good luck, and be sure to post pics of the birds if you manage to scratch out a few!!
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Good stuff. The whole time I was deer hunting they were calling non-stop. But they've been using that spot for several weeks.

I think I'll use my new Avian-X backwaters and a couple GHG pro-grades and head out there after observing them. I'll post any pics of birds I get. Thanks for the advice!
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Postby franchifowler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am

good luck! sounds like a fun little honey hole if it gets used all season. keep quite on where it is or it won't be good for long!
franchifowler
hunter

Postby bdub20 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:16 am

Always exciting to try out a new spot. Hopefully you can sneak in on them. Who else will be out Turkey Day weekend?? I'm excited since it's our opener down here in the south zone. We might be out Thanksgiving morning.
bdub20
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:59 pm

franchifowler wrote:good luck! sounds like a fun little honey hole if it gets used all season. keep quite on where it is or it won't be good for long!

This. Post pics of any kills or anything, but I'd keep the location hush hush.

bdub20 wrote:Always exciting to try out a new spot. Hopefully you can sneak in on them. Who else will be out Turkey Day weekend?? I'm excited since it's our opener down here in the south zone. We might be out Thanksgiving morning.

Thanksgiving Day is always opener in Southern Illinois where my family has leased ground for ages, and it's always a tradition to hunt opening morning. I am really looking forward to it!
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:25 am

Well guys, thanks for the help! I ended up having a good hunt.

Observed what they were doing and realized they were going out to feed all day on acorns and coming back at dusk. When they came back this time, they had quite the surprise in store. I couldn't reload my gun fast enough. They were gun shy, or decoy shy. I'd shoot and they'd just come back around. It was amazing. Definitely wish I could do it again.
Attachments
20131129_180713.jpg
20131129_180614.jpg
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:07 am

MOduckMOfun wrote:Well guys, thanks for the help! I ended up having a good hunt.

Observed what they were doing and realized they were going out to feed all day on acorns and coming back at dusk. When they came back this time, they had quite the surprise in store. I couldn't reload my gun fast enough. They were gun shy, or decoy shy. I'd shoot and they'd just come back around. It was amazing. Definitely wish I could do it again.

You can't do it again....?

Just let it simmer down for a little while, go back and scout it again.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:10 am

Oh I definitely can do it again. Like you said though I need to let it simmer down. I plan on going there in a few weeks when everything else is frozen up. I was just upset that I couldn't do it again immediately the next night because I didn't want to scare them away permanently.
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:13 am

Ahhh, wise move. The best thing you can do on a little spot like that is just let it simmer down.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting