Need some info on Bob Brown

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Need some info on Bob Brown

Postby C-Lewis 22 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:06 pm

I'll be coming home from college for Christmas break here in a few weeks and I'm looking to hunt Bob Brown CA.

I've hunted Schell-Osage and Truman Lake a often, seeing as I'll be in KC I wanted to try out a new place.

I won't have access to a boat while I am home.

My questions:

-What is the natural cover consist of?
-what would work well as a temporary blind (trying to figure out if I want to build something to bring with me)?
-do you need a boat?
-do you hunt from the water or off the bank somewhere?

I'm going to take a drive up there when I get home over thanksgiving so when I go set up for the first time in the dark I'll know what to expect.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
C-Lewis 22
Newb

Re: Need some info on Bob Brown

Postby Cliner » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Boat is not absolutely necessary, but I wouldn't wanna walk in (probably more because I'm fat and lazy). They have blind mounds you can hunt off, corn you can sit in, or moist soil with some willows around you can hide in. I hope you're lucky, because you'll need to be to draw in. Never tried hunting out of a boat blind there. Have hunted out of layout boats but I assume that's not the "access to a boat" you're talking about.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby C-Lewis 22 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Cliner wrote:Boat is not absolutely necessary, but I wouldn't wanna walk in (probably more because I'm fat and lazy). They have blind mounds you can hunt off, corn you can sit in, or moist soil with some willows around you can hide in. I hope you're lucky, because you'll need to be to draw in. Never tried hunting out of a boat blind there. Have hunted out of layout boats but I assume that's not the "access to a boat" you're talking about.

Last year my dad, uncle, and I put in the lottery for Schell and that worked out. I have my uncles boat when I'm down that way but up in KC I will not. I'd go hunt Schell but from the sounds of things the hunting isn't going to be that great there this year. Only time will tell.

Hopefully being able to hunt during the week will increase my chances in the poor line.
C-Lewis 22
Newb

Postby PDO » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Your chances of getting into Schell would be much, much better than Brown by yourself. Schell is actually doing pretty well this year. 2-3 bird averages. Brown has turned away more parties than I have every seen this year. The later in the year it gets at BB, the more important it is to know what you are doing there/where the sweet spots are. The kill board isn't going to help you much.

Also a chance that Brown is froze out by Xmas break!

PO
PDO
hunter

Postby C-Lewis 22 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:33 pm

PDO wrote:Your chances of getting into Schell would be much, much better than Brown by yourself. Schell is actually doing pretty well this year. 2-3 bird averages. Brown has turned away more parties than I have every seen this year. The later in the year it gets at BB, the more important it is to know what you are doing there/where the sweet spots are. The kill board isn't going to help you much.

Also a chance that Brown is froze out by Xmas break!

PO

I should have 2 or 3 people with me depending on the day. I'm thinking as the colder weather keeps coming the hunting at schell may get better regardless of the feed.
C-Lewis 22
Newb

Postby C-Lewis 22 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:57 pm

What about Grand Pass on the off chance that I can get a Quick Draw?

Same questions...
C-Lewis 22
Newb

Postby bdub20 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 am

Look on the mdc and call the websites agents. However look on the maps online as well. Because we went to Schell this yr for our first time ever with kayaks. And the agent was very optimistic that we could hunt any spot with kayaks. Luckily we drew a spot that was one of the shorter kayaks, because if we would have gotten a blind further from the boat ramp we would have missed first light and scared a lot of opportunity.
bdub20
hunter

Postby Simply2Big » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:04 pm

[quote="C-Lewis 22"]What about Grand Pass on the off chance that I can get a Quick Draw?

Hahahaha
Simply2Big
hunter

Postby C-Lewis 22 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Simply2Big wrote:
C-Lewis 22 wrote:What about Grand Pass on the off chance that I can get a Quick Draw?

Hahahaha

Notice the "off chance". Ha
C-Lewis 22
Newb

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:00 pm

C-Lewis 22 wrote:
Simply2Big wrote:
C-Lewis 22 wrote:What about Grand Pass on the off chance that I can get a Quick Draw?

Hahahaha

Notice the "off chance". Ha

Hahahaha
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Duckaholic-Anonymous » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:48 pm

No sense wasting time and gas scouting a draw area. Try and draw and in the "off chance" you even draw into Brown, ask an agent for help. Definitely places there you want a boat for, but if you want it bad enough just ruck it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Duckaholic-Anonymous
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting