Disked and Chissel Plowed Fields

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Disked and Chissel Plowed Fields

Postby luie b » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Anybody ever notice in their area that geese like feeding in fields that have had fall tillage done to them with corn and soybeans? It sucks because those are the hardest fields to hide in... They even don't mind feeding in fields with anhydrous put on the beans! It seems to me like in my area they care more about the structure of the field (the way it lays) rather than the food in it. Anybody see this?
luie b
hunter

Re: Disked and Chissel Plowed Fields

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:33 am

Most of what I hunt is tilled. Around here most of the time you'll be lucky to get 3-4 days on stubble and the corn is cut so high the geese won't land in it anyway. I just use a blind with a dark base color and add debris from the field. Most of the time there are "clumps of debris in the field where it was weedy or the harvester stopped so I don't worry about the blind being too high. I try to dig down about 8" and bank up to the blind. This year I hunted a beet field for the first time and just put a black sheet over the blind and put some green from the field on it. Worked like a charm.

I'm planning on buying another blind this winter and painting it completely black. Then I will have one for stubble, one for tilled and one for black fields.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:43 am

Easy fields to hide in. Mudded blind, scrape away soil/dig down a little, and stubble appropriately.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Banded man » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:00 pm

In my area there are so many picked or chopped corn fields that's what the geese look for up here.
Banded man
Newb

Postby wtrfwlr43 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:11 am

Geese are lazy eaters, they liked those disc'd fields early on. If you can't dig down a little look for a depression in the field. A Well mudded blind a few cornstalks = success.
wtrfwlr43
hunter

Postby The Confederate » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:20 am

Went on my first field goose hunt this past weekend in those same conditions. A disked soybean field the geese love to feed in. I've never field hunted before so this is the only thing I could think to do. I have a layout blind that I just got for this hunt, the youth in the picture wasn't so lucky haha. We ended up with our limit though. Just use what's around you.
Attachments
image.jpg
Mickey Mouse Club Prostaff
The Confederate
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum