Mattamuskeet blinds

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Mattamuskeet blinds

Postby black_duck » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:51 am

I was lucky enough to be drawn for mattamuskeet and was assigned blinds 14 and 6. I have hunted here before but I can't remember how good these blinds were. If any one could fill me in that would be great. A PM would work also.
black_duck
hunter

Re: Mattamuskeet blinds

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:57 am

Most days all of the blinds suck
If you get weather, all of the blinds have the potential to be good
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby duk-cmdr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:14 pm

ditto what EBD said

both of those its worth seeing who didnt show and attempt switching blinds the morning of. be sure and check the kill sheets

14 is only a few yrds off the road...short walk, crappy hunt in my experience. not certain on 6...but you really need weather for any of the blinds to get em flying, and a decent wind for the setup
duk-cmdr
hunter

Postby black_duck » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Oh yea I forgot to say that it was actually my son who was drawn for next weekend so if that helps you any. I will be taking both of my boys down there this weekend and want them to have good shooting. Thanks
black_duck
hunter

Postby Paul26 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:04 pm

I checked out the blinds this weekend, though i didn't get drawn.

My Mattamuskeet host tells me that, just like the others said, that it is all about the wx. He also said the blinds on the lake proper (14 for you) are much better than those in the impoundment (6)...... He said the Feds do a lousy job with planting in the impoundment.

I am not an experienced impoundment hunter, but this weekend all of the private impoundments had neat rows of standing corn, millet, and soy. The refuge impoundment ( blinds 2,5,6) looked like they did nothing to it. Maybe they planted differently and it was packed with food......but I couldn't tell. It just looked like a big mess. It is not flooded yet......or if it is, it isn't flooded the way the private impoundments are (I saw no standing water).

Pls let me know which blind is better.

Hunting with your sons....doesn't matter. You'll have a blast.

Recommend you talk the folks on the process for getting stand- by assignments. I did that and get the scoop.

Good luck
Paul26
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting