10 Ga. Gold Choke & Shell Combo's

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

10 Ga. Gold Choke & Shell Combo's

Postby 10gaugerIllinois » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Hey guys. I have been reading for the past couple weeks on this site about Choke and Shell combos out of 10 Ga. Browning Golds. I just picked one up for this year of duck and goose and I've got to say, Its an awesome gun! So to cut to the chase, I'm looking for a good Choke and Shell setup for the gun. Not to beat the dead horse here, but it seems theres some differences in opinion. Which is fine, don't get me wrong here! I'm just not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on choke tube's to find O-N-E I want. And have a box full of expensive tubes I don't use. Anybody have good experiences setting up one of these guns?

So I am planning on taking the gun to the pattern range this spring and do some testing. I need a point in the right direction here as to which one or two tubes I A-C-T-U-A-L-L-Y need, and should start testing with. I see that most of these conversations of tubes go into reloading, and I am not interested at all in reloading. If anything I would buy reloads to get the right combination, from say sporting ammo, I heard on here is good, all be it fast. So what is a choke for store bought ammo? I have been using Heavy Metal BB, Hypersonic Remington BB, and Black Cloud BB so far to try out for the first year. I seem to be doing the best with the Heavy Metal, go figure. I realize from reading your posts that there is some homework in selecting the right choke size, to the right velocity ammo, and shot size. So in your opinions, from the research you guys have done, I am trying to learn from you here. What's been working for you? So, choke / store bought ammo setup? 40-50 yards? I'm a good shot, I've been hunting with shotguns since my Dad started taking me as a boy.

So here is the scenario. I range found my decoy spread, and I'm shooting 25 to 35 yards over decoys. Im river hunting, and the birds that fly the river are out at least that far, or out to 50 yards. WHizzing by I might add. I get a lot fling overhead as well at least to 50 yards. :huh:
10gaugerIllinois
hunter

Re: 10 Ga. Gold Choke & Shell Combo's

Postby Dan the goose slayer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:59 pm

For chokes I would go with a terror 720 as for ammo I would go federal or hevi shot. Have you ever considered reloading it gives you a lot more options in the 10 gauge thanks

Dan
Dan the goose slayer
hunter

Postby mjk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:32 pm

I currently use the 745 Briley and Sportingammo.

Terror 720 isn't an option currently; it may go back into production.

Fed Blue Box would probably be a good factory load; not sure the Red Box is being sold any more.
mjk
hunter

Postby 10gaugerIllinois » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:04 am

Thanks for the tips. I went to Wad Wizards website and found the Terror. It says you can order it. It doesent say anything about being discontinued? I have not tried to order it yet. The thing about reloading is that I dont have the room, equipment, or time, to do it. Otherwise I probably would reload. I just pick up the shells and hunt. I'm just looking for some ammo I can order online or pick up in the store that works well with my gun. I'm also looking at what choke works best for it. I need to pattern it at the range, and want to bring a couple options for chokes with me to test it. I went on sporting ammos webpage, but they dont list what a box of shells costs. Do you know?
10gaugerIllinois
hunter

Postby 10gaugerIllinois » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:42 pm

Dan the goose slayer wrote:For chokes I would go with a terror 720 as for ammo I would go federal or hevi shot. Have you ever considered reloading it gives you a lot more options in the 10 gauge thanks

Dan

I ordered the Terror .720 I got the confirmation from wad wizard that it's back ordered until Dec 6, but will ship soon. Guess you can still get them. Thanks.
10gaugerIllinois
hunter

Postby mjk » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:56 pm

I ordered in 2011, and it was 26/box. 12.00 to ship 3 boxes to MN. I see Blue Box locally for 23.99/box. Of course, no 1s and did not see BBBs either. 2s, bbs, and T.
mjk
hunter

Postby 10gaugerIllinois » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:12 am

mjk wrote:I ordered in 2011, and it was 26/box. 12.00 to ship 3 boxes to MN. I see Blue Box locally for 23.99/box. Of course, no 1s and did not see BBBs either. 2s, bbs, and T.

Thanks. I called Sporting Ammo and got pricing. Seems like they are fair. I was out looking on the web and a lot of places are out of stock for the bigger 10 ga loads. They can get them, but who knows how long that will take. The biggest I can find at the stores around here at the sporting goods stores is BB, and #2. I think I will try out a couple boxes.
10gaugerIllinois
hunter

Postby 10gaugerIllinois » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:25 pm

mjk wrote:I ordered in 2011, and it was 26/box. 12.00 to ship 3 boxes to MN. I see Blue Box locally for 23.99/box. Of course, no 1s and did not see BBBs either. 2s, bbs, and T.

Since I ordered the .720 terror, I was going to shoot my #2 remington shot, and BB Remington shot through. I want to try out some other ammo to pattern through it. I'm considering trying out the Federal BBB, and T. Is the .720 Terror to tight for that big shot? Or should I step it down to my factory mod or factory full? Just dont want to damage my gun. :fingerpt:
10gaugerIllinois
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:55 am

I would definitely look into Hevi Metal. I shoot it out of my 12 and 20 gauges and works amazing.
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:22 am

I use BBB 1-5/8 Winchester factory loads at 1350fps and they will take down geese out to 60 yards with ease. I have sold my brownings but when I was shooting them I had the trulock extended mod and full and both patterned great depending on the range I was going to be shooting. The same load / choke combo is working in my SP-10's too. I have also tried #1, #2 and bb along with #3. I like the #3 when I use the 10 for ducks.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum