We need COLD!

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

We need COLD!

Postby B_Wood_Banger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:09 pm

It is safe to say the birds that were here (close to Braidwood) left when we got that first cold front and there has not been any new birds the lake is killing very low numbers if we don't get some really cold weather here soon in afraid it's gonna be another crappy season or they will all come in the last couple weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B_Wood_Banger
hunter

Re: We need COLD!

Postby luie b » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Good cold front coming Sunday and into next week.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 11
luie b
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:11 pm

Always the last ten days down there, Banger. Or, ten days after duck closes.
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:20 pm

I would venture to say that we would be better off with a few inches of snow down to the Wisconsin border through northern Iowa. The cold is always great but if they can still get to food in the fields easily there's always open water somewhere.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:33 pm

QuackSmacker935 wrote:I would venture to say that we would be better off with a few inches of snow down to the Wisconsin border through northern Iowa. The cold is always great but if they can still get to food in the fields easily there's always open water somewhere.

:clapping:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby herpin1579 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Been killing limits of mallards every hunt since opener with some woodies, gaddies, and blacks mixed in. Geese on the other hand are programmed dont show up during lst if they even leave the fields. Many long, frustrating, and costly truck boat rides. Already put a 4in hole in the boat and cracked the welds on the cavitation plate. The last week made navigation easier but scattered the birds lengthening our stay an hour or two to fill our bags. Have yet to see another hunter within a couple miles from where I hunt.

Branch out and ditch the state land if you've got the time and equipment
Mike Brown
Bowfishing Association of Illinois director
herpin1579
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:28 am

We need an Alberta clipper to hit up north through the Upper Midwest . Season is half over already . :sad:
Grossy23
hunter

Postby savducksunlimited » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:45 am

QuackSmacker935 wrote:I would venture to say that we would be better off with a few inches of snow down to the Wisconsin border through northern Iowa. The cold is always great but if they can still get to food in the fields easily there's always open water somewhere.

This would be the answer we need!! :thumbsup:
savducksunlimited
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:49 am

That storm is what screwed me. Had couple hundred mallards hitting a field along with a couple hundred geese. They are all gone. Haven't seen a single bird since Saturday.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:47 am

herpin1579 wrote:Been killing limits of mallards every hunt since opener with some woodies, gaddies, and blacks mixed in. Geese on the other hand are programmed dont show up during lst if they even leave the fields. Many long, frustrating, and costly truck boat rides. Already put a 4in hole in the boat and cracked the welds on the cavitation plate. The last week made navigation easier but scattered the birds lengthening our stay an hour or two to fill our bags. Have yet to see another hunter within a couple miles from where I hunt.

Branch out and ditch the state land if you've got the time and equipment

Yea this would be nice but there's not a whole lot of places this can be done legally..
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Looks like the cold is coming. Probably going to be breaking ice Sunday but I feel it will be worth it.

asmythe32
hunter

Postby traydog14 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:25 am

We do need cold but a split season would benefit us better. imo
1860 swv4f4 excel Mudbuddy sport V44
traydog14
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:51 am

I second that make everyone happy the fair weather guys and us who dont mind breaking ice^^^^^^^^^^^ :thumbsup:
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:18 am

traydog14 wrote:We do need cold but a split season would benefit us better. imo

Well said . :thumbsup:
Grossy23
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:21 pm

I don't think we need a split just a later start date. I have always thought we should bring in each zone a week apart. North at the end of October. The each zone the next weekend would ease the pressure of guys traveling to each zone I think and it would extend it into January or right at the end of December for the central. Hard to get my wife on board for hunting around Christmas.

asmythe32
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:49 pm

That battle will never be won. we have to start so early is because so many people are worried about freezing up so a split could make everyone happy. they can have their t-shirt hunts and hardcores like us can break ice and stand in frozen waders all all day :thumbsup: some of my best hunts were on the kkk river literally bobsledding the boat across the ice to the open water then all sitting in the back of the boat jumping to the front when it hits the edge of the ice and pulling the motor up before it hits the ice and sliding back to shore. now thats hardcore lol dumb but awesome at the same time. plus if your dedicated enough theres always the 2-3 times daily/nighly running the boat around breaking ice keeping it open for the next days grind fest.
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:31 pm

Two week split would be good only to catch up on sleep and make the wife happy for fourteen days.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby gooseslayingfool » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:21 pm

just a heads up. been there done that on this fight. was a long hard struggle but we finally got the 4th zone in il. Fairweather hunters held us back for many years. Avg freeze up is getting later each year. i dont recall being froze up more than a week last year. migrations are backing up. this is even noted in this months delta mag. Bottom line people need to wake up we aint huntin in the 50s and 60s when birds were in mass by nov. 11.Farming,cooling lakes and warmer temps have evolved the birds. Also who would have dremt of flooded corn up north? No its a reality with well water and the cornpond dont freeze till the owner wants it to. How many birds does this stall out? I can go on and on..........
gooseslayingfool
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:18 pm

I would love a split season.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby luie b » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:36 pm

4th zone only helps if you're in that zone. Meanwhile the central zone is just lumped all together and we have to deal with the screwed up dates while the south and south central zone are happy as a puppy with 2 peters.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 11
luie b
hunter

Postby traydog14 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:12 am

puppy with two peters :lol3: gonna save that one in the memory bank.

The 4th zone was created and paid for by the outfitters in southern il. They get better numbers later in the season which increases their clients. Was told last year by an outfitter that a check for 5k, trip to springfield, and delivery of that 5k to the right politician got them what they wanted......4th zone

I do believe the zones are supposed to be on the table for discussion again in two years.
1860 swv4f4 excel Mudbuddy sport V44
traydog14
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:07 pm

Cold has officially hit pool 16. We were unable to hunt our blind this morning due to having 400 dekes locked up in an inch of ice overnight. However plenty of ducks had shown up overnight with the north winds. We were seeing groups of 50-100 working what must have been the only backwater hole open without hunters in it. Diver hunting will be coming to a crawl with the arrival of golden eyes but bring on the mallards and geese.
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby Skyblaster7 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:29 pm

traydog14 wrote:puppy with two peters :lol3: gonna save that one in the memory bank.

The 4th zone was created and paid for by the outfitters in southern il. They get better numbers later in the season which increases their clients. Was told last year by an outfitter that a check for 5k, trip to springfield, and delivery of that 5k to the right politician got them what they wanted......4th zone

I do believe the zones are supposed to be on the table for discussion again in two years.

the majority of hunters in Illinois are satisfied with our current 4- zone structure
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Early season, late season, split season, it will never work to make everyone happy with the weather we have in the area. People saying we need cold, now we have it and some people are whining cause they think the season is over due to ice. If you don't like the Illinois weather, give it an hour or so and it will change.

Look at last season. No "weather" until late December. Some people whined cause the season never really happened. The seasons are set by the big money club owners down south, so I'm just going to hunt when I can and keep my options open to get through the whole season. Idk about anyone else, but one way or another, I'll be hunting till the end of January. :thumbsup:
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:55 pm

You won't hear me complain about the season thus far. Can't stop once the ice comes. Plenty more birds left to come. Use your resources and equipment in order to get on birds. Chase landowners daily and one will pay off in the long run.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting