Quick feeding question

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Quick feeding question

Postby Delta1389 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:25 pm

At the store right now looking at dogs foods. My lab pup is 8.5 months old and has been on diamond natural large breed puppy formula. I do not feel she is gaining weight like she should. She's about 45-50 lbs and eat 6 cups of food a day. I just recently changed her feeding schedule from once a day to twice a day. I kept upping her feed and it was becoming to much at one time and was giving her diarrhea. Now feeding three cups twice a day and her poo looks much better. But I still feel she's not putting on the weight she should. Her current food is 27% protein 15% fat. If like it to be at least 30/20 but can't find a puppy formula with that in it. Diamond has one that's called extreme athlete that's 32/25. We are hunting two to three days a week. We will be hunting four days this week so she is active. Do y'all think it would be a bad idea to take her off a puppy formula at this age for what is essentially an adult food to help her put on some more weight and give more calories to burn while hunting? Btw she's going back to the vet tues to have a fecal done just in case.
Delta1389
hunter

Re: Quick feeding question

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:05 pm

purina pro plan preformance is an all life stages food might give that a try.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby berudd » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:14 pm

I took mine Lab off puppy food at 6 months so I think you'd be fine making the switch.
berudd
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:23 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:purina pro plan preformance is an all life stages food might give that a try.

x2 Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:59 am

krazybronco2 wrote:purina pro plan preformance is an all life stages food might give that a try.

X's 3
GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:01 am

Thanks for the responses. The store closed before I got one though unfortunately and I had to make a decision and went with the extreme athlete. Did some research while I was there and it's supposedly an all life stages food too. If this doesn't work out I'll try the pro plan.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby MoBrad » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:29 am

Now obviously, I dont know your dog, but unless she is showing a lot of ribs, it may be possible that she is just a correct sized Labrador. If you look at breed standards, females are supposed to be between 55 and 70 lbs. At hunt tests and stuff I see so many of these big bruisers over 80 and and even 90 pounds sometimes. People get confused about what the dog is "supposed" to weigh. My female is about 4 1/2 years old and she weighs about 57 right now, in the spring and summer when she is training pretty hard, she may go down to 52 sometimes, but she looks too skinny there, too many ribs showing.

Like I said, I dont know your dog, or what her parents looked like or anything like that, just wanted to throw out another something for you to think about. My dog is an HRCH and she always was either the smallest or one of the smallest at all of her hunt tests, when, by the book, she was perfect!
MoBrad
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:10 am

Feed to body condition, not weight. You should be just able to see her back rib and feel the rest through her coat.

I'm not a fan of any Diamond products. My dogs have never done well on them and I feel they don't exercise good quality control (several recalls in the past few years). My dogs always had the runs.

I would recommend: Purina Pro Plan Performance, Eukanuba Performance, or Exclusive PMI Performance. My dogs have done well on all three. Remember, its not just about the protein/fat ratios, but also about the ingredient quality.

Just for a comparison, I feed my 5 y.o. 72 lb. male a little less than 4 cups of Pro Plan a day when he's at ideal body condition.
He's a trial dog and is worked hard every day, but if I'm hunting him, I bump it up to maintain his weight. (Not 6 cups though)
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby berudd » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Yeah, be more concerned with her condition than her weight. My Lab was 70 lbs at her last vet visit and you could see her ribs. I've bumped up her feed to help her gain a little for duck season. She's a very active dog.

With those high protein and fat numbers I googled that food a little and got conflicting opinions. Once place gave it 5 starts (but didn't have actual test data) and another claimed it was marginal based on the quality of the ingredients. I'm feeding my lab 5 cups a day of Nutro High Endurance (30/20) and she has outstanding energy and stamina and shines like she's been polished. I may back down to 4 cups after the season is over.
berudd
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum