A Decoy Carver's Treasure!

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

A Decoy Carver's Treasure!

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:52 am

About 6 months or so ago, I found a wood carving club here on the Island. I read about it in Newsday, and the thing that interested me most was that one of the master carvers was my old physic teacher from high school. Anyway, I've been going to meeting every week and picking up some tips here and there. Of course, most of the fellows at the "bird table" are actually carving sculptures, not working decoys, to they don't have a whole lot of appreciation for my birds. I keep trying to explain that my "judge" has a brain the size of half a walnut, monocular vision and is flying by at 40mph or so, often in very low light or low visibility.

This morning, I was sitting at the "bird table" hacking away at some miniature when this fellow I'd never met comes up and asks if anyone is interested in ducks. After some discussion with some of the other carvers, they point him to me. He hands me a book and asks if I'd be interested in it. I look at the book and it's the second printing (1954) of "Wild Fowl Decoys" by Joel Barber! I asked him how much he wanted, and he says nothing, he want to give it to me! I couldn't believe it. I told him that the book was probably worth a few dollars, but he said, "Not to me! It's worth more to me in the hands of someone who'll appreciate it!"

How's that for dumb luck?

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Re: A Decoy Carver's Treasure!

Postby 870 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:05 pm

WOW Thats pretty cool congrats Frank I know you will enjoy it :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:19 pm

That's an awesome gift Frank! A friend gave me a copy of it a while back. It's a good resource for someone who carves working birds.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby DukBum » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Great book Frank,what a nice gift
There is more to this then just killing ducks
DukBum
State Moderator

Return to New York Duck Hunting