What a crock

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

What a crock

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Quivira has 210,00 birds and its closed as usual, looks like 3 whoopers STILL have it shut down, Ill be glad when they get the rules changed next year.

Its been closed all month
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Re: What a crock

Postby TheMiz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Sneak in at night with one of them net guns and "re-locate" them
TheMiz
hunter

Postby gooshnr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:29 pm

I'm really surprised they are still hanging around. There sure haven't been many opportunities to hunt there during the month of November the last half dozen years or so. Each year it seems to be getting worse not better. Hopefully their new plan will include a way to prevent the entire area from being closed when whoopers are on the area.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:25 pm

With the new plan, the shut down, as I understand it, will be similar to what they do at Cheyenne Bottoms when the Whoppers are there. Ive hunted the place for over 20 years and Ive never understood shutting down the upland and duck hunting when the birds are there. I can understand shutting down the goose hunting, but have you ever saw a duck or pheasant with a 6 foot week span. I do credit the new manager in his efforts to change things, Im sure he will get a ton of crap from the mighty bird watchers who are to cheap to buy a Migratory Bird stamp.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:29 pm

cluckmeister wrote:With the new plan, the shut down, as I understand it, will be similar to what they do at Cheyenne Bottoms when the Whoppers are there.

There are three, slightly different proposals for Quivira on the table at this time. As I read (and recall) them, none had any changes in the way they shut the entire refuge down when whooping cranes are present. :sad:
I talked to several people who drove around Quivira this week to see all the ducks that were reported on the refuge. Nobody could figure out where they were.......
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:13 pm

I talked with someone on the phone Thursday and the last time they saw any was Wednesday afternoon, I called Friday morning and they were out looking for them. My hunch is that they were gone but the management decided to keep it closed this weekend just in case they retuned. In the past they have done this if the birds were spotted with in about 3 miles of the refuge on private property.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting