Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:43 pm

“A Nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!”
- Anonymous
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana


Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Andy W » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:41 am

We're witnessing that firsthand.
Andy W
hunter
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 am
Location: KY

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:45 am

The notion that people who won't think like you are sheep breeds a bunch of cynical, bitter old men.
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6286
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:48 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:The notion that people who won't think like you are sheep breeds a bunch of cynical, bitter old men.

"Just stay off the lawn, ya dadgum , whiney, bleedin' heart, liberal whippersnapper!" :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10668
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby ScaupHunter » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:54 pm

I love watching liberal sheep willingly putting their heads in the crooked stick.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6392
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:33 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:I love watching liberal sheep willingly putting their heads in the crooked stick.

I love watching conservatives complain about liberals. Gives them an outlet for their internal disappointment in themselves and prevents them from doing anything too detrimental to civiized society.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10668
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:35 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:I love watching liberal sheep willingly putting their heads in the crooked stick.

I love watching conservatives complain about liberals. Gives them an outlet for their internal disappointment in themselves and prevents them from doing anything too detrimental to civiized society.

:rolleyes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby ScaupHunter » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:51 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:I love watching liberal sheep willingly putting their heads in the crooked stick.

I love watching conservatives complain about liberals. Gives them an outlet for their internal disappointment in themselves and prevents them from doing anything too detrimental to civiized society.


You claim to be highly literate and don't know the difference between a complaint and a simple statement of personal enjoyment?
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 6392
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:11 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:I love watching liberal sheep willingly putting their heads in the crooked stick.

I love watching conservatives complain about liberals. Gives them an outlet for their internal disappointment in themselves and prevents them from doing anything too detrimental to civiized society.


You claim to be highly literate and don't know the difference between a complaint and a simple statement of personal enjoyment?

To many they are one and the same, scaup! :beer: By the way, I consider myself kind of the Norm Crosby of literacy! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10668
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby beretta24 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:07 am

blackduckdog2 wrote:The notion that people who won't think like you are sheep breeds a bunch of cynical, bitter old men.

How else would you describe the masses after seeing who makes it out of our primary elections? It almost always the person with the most cash, not the person with the best plan or ideas.
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:57 am

beretta24 wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:The notion that people who won't think like you are sheep breeds a bunch of cynical, bitter old men.

How else would you describe the masses after seeing who makes it out of our primary elections? It almost always the person with the most cash, not the person with the best plan or ideas.

This is so, and it neatly parallels my notions about the dark side of capitalism (or at least our current version of it) that is, the people who garner to themselves the most wealth and power are the ones who are good at making money, and not necessarily the ones whose efforts might best build a better nation. Just for the record, my recognizing that capitalism HAS a dark side does NOT make me a socialist/marxist/communist or any such thing. It just makes me a realist
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6286
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby assateague » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:15 am

I hear what you're saying, but it seems to me that a realist would also see that, human nature being what it is, a true free market system is the best thing going.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:16 am

assateague wrote:I hear what you're saying, but it seems to me that a realist would also see that, human nature being what it is, a true free market system is the best thing going.

100 points to Assateague for a great rebuttal. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby beretta24 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:33 am

Indaswamp wrote:
assateague wrote:I hear what you're saying, but it seems to me that a realist would also see that, human nature being what it is, a true free market system is the best thing going.

100 points to Assateague for a great rebuttal. :thumbsup:

Free market yes, but I wouldn't say free market sans regulation would be very effective.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:39 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
assateague wrote:I hear what you're saying, but it seems to me that a realist would also see that, human nature being what it is, a true free market system is the best thing going.

100 points to Assateague for a great rebuttal. :thumbsup:

It's hardly a rebuttal when the rebuttee has never differed in his stated opinion from the rebutter's position. But try and keep this as black and white as you possibly can…..I know that makes it easier for you. Less accurate and articulate, but easier
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6286
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:52 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:The notion that people who won't think like you are sheep breeds a bunch of cynical, bitter old men.

Yeah, no wolves in Illinois in general or Chicago in particular. :lol3:

The wolves discussing how to divide the flock

Image

The moderate electable wolves are not that much better.

Image

Image

http://www.examiner.com/article/chicago-s-political-family-dynasties

BTW, I agree with no more Bush's for the same reason. If you don't like wolves, political inbred that are corrupt and incompetent because they didn't move up because of their unique talents, but who their handlers and relatives are. The political machines work because they can heard the sheeple to the polls.

The answer is competitive primaries, but the vast majority willing to go up against the establishment are the people Palin that are easily seen as anti-establishment and as you well know those people are always thought of as weird because they don't follow and go their own path for better and worse.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15785
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby buckmeister » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Capitalism has a dark side compared to what fairy tale?
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 4288
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:44 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:The notion that people who won't think like you are sheep breeds a bunch of cynical, bitter old men.


I seriously doubt that anyone here would honestly call you or Jim sheep. You guys are thinkers (usually wrong, but thinkers none the less :wink: :lol3: ) and not the types who've joined the herd because you needed a shepherd. You two seem like the type that have formed your opinions because you fear for the safety and welfare of those sheep. More like sheep dogs.
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3587
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:36 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:The notion that people who won't think like you are sheep breeds a bunch of cynical, bitter old men.


I seriously doubt that anyone here would honestly call you or Jim sheep. You guys are thinkers (usually wrong, but thinkers none the less :wink: :lol3: ) and not the types who've joined the herd because you needed a shepherd. You two seem like the type that have formed your opinions because you fear for the safety and welfare of those sheep. More like sheep dogs.

I gotta admit I kinda like the idea………I definitely wouldn't mind coming back as an Australian Shepherd. Oh wait, they're cattle dogs….can I still be one?
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6286
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:41 pm

buckmeister wrote:Capitalism has a dark side compared to what fairy tale?

All fairy tales have their dark sides or else they wouldn't resonate through our collective memories over the centuries. Well, the best ones do, and they're the only ones that stand the test of time…
But here's the thing that bugs me in here…I made my money (such as it is) as a small businessman. I love the free market. I have said this over and over, yet here you are, buckmeister, busting my chops because I DARE to suggest that capitalism is anything but absolutely perfect. Why the hell do you guys do that? EVERY economic system has problems, and we shouldn't pretend that ours is any different
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6286
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:58 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
buckmeister wrote:Capitalism has a dark side compared to what fairy tale?

All fairy tales have their dark sides or else they wouldn't resonate through our collective memories over the centuries. Well, the best ones do, and they're the only ones that stand the test of time…
But here's the thing that bugs me in here…I made my money (such as it is) as a small businessman. I love the free market. I have said this over and over, yet here you are, buckmeister, busting my chops because I DARE to suggest that capitalism is anything but absolutely perfect. Why the hell do you guys do that? EVERY economic system has problems, and we shouldn't pretend that ours is any different

no economic system is perfect, but capitalism is the best one by any measure.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby blackduckdog2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
buckmeister wrote:Capitalism has a dark side compared to what fairy tale?

All fairy tales have their dark sides or else they wouldn't resonate through our collective memories over the centuries. Well, the best ones do, and they're the only ones that stand the test of time…
But here's the thing that bugs me in here…I made my money (such as it is) as a small businessman. I love the free market. I have said this over and over, yet here you are, buckmeister, busting my chops because I DARE to suggest that capitalism is anything but absolutely perfect. Why the hell do you guys do that? EVERY economic system has problems, and we shouldn't pretend that ours is any different

no economic system is perfect, but capitalism is the best one by any measure.

Will you please show me where I have stated differently?!? I point out the flaws it has, because I always believe that we can do it better, and basically get called a marxist because of it
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."
Walt Kelly, via Slow's avatar. Look it up
User avatar
blackduckdog2
hunter
 
Posts: 6286
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:02 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:51 pm

blackduckdog2 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:
buckmeister wrote:Capitalism has a dark side compared to what fairy tale?

All fairy tales have their dark sides or else they wouldn't resonate through our collective memories over the centuries. Well, the best ones do, and they're the only ones that stand the test of time…
But here's the thing that bugs me in here…I made my money (such as it is) as a small businessman. I love the free market. I have said this over and over, yet here you are, buckmeister, busting my chops because I DARE to suggest that capitalism is anything but absolutely perfect. Why the hell do you guys do that? EVERY economic system has problems, and we shouldn't pretend that ours is any different

no economic system is perfect, but capitalism is the best one by any measure.

Will you please show me where I have stated differently?!? I point out the flaws it has, because I always believe that we can do it better, and basically get called a marxist because of it

how exact;y would you make it 'better'? Keep in mind, I'm talking about 'capitalism', not 'crony capitalism' that we have today.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56102
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:31 pm

The answer is competitive primaries, but the vast majority willing to go up against the establishment are the people Palin that are easily seen as anti-establishment and as you well know those people are always thought of as weird because they don't follow and go their own path for better and worse.[/quote]
Just minor grammatical/typo errors here that make me less than confident of understanding what you are saying, Spinner. If you are asserting that Palin's Achille's Heel was her failure to fit in with established boxes due to a wholesome sense of clarity and conviction, I respectfully disagree. I feel her weakness was due to an overtly obvious lack of ability to think for herself, and to have the lack of ingenuity to circumvent the issues she was woefully unprepared to deal with, Or even converse about, for that maner. When you state her demonstrated forthrightness and conviction in the face of opposition from her detractors, advisors and opposition, I am lead to believe we are possibly talking about another "Palin", probably completely distanced from any connection to "Sarah" and possibly currently serving the community as "Administrative Asst. and Dispatcher to the Animal Control Officer" in a town famous for its contention in the "Lizard Skin County's Largest Punkin Growing Contest" every year. But to think of that person as "weird"? Far be it for me to judge! Sarah is not weird, anymore than a stenographer's pad is responsible for producing "weird" statements.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10668
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Quote of the Day...11/22/2013

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:43 pm

beretta24 wrote:
blackduckdog2 wrote:The notion that people who won't think like you are sheep breeds a bunch of cynical, bitter old men.

How else would you describe the masses after seeing who makes it out of our primary elections? It almost always the person with the most cash, not the person with the best plan or ideas.

At that point their plans and ideas are simply vacuous statements oh so meticulously contrived by a battalion of Spin Doctors to appeal to, and not offend, the largest group of voters. Libertarians are the Poster Children for this method of operation. Come out proclaiming the blatantly obvious problems in our society, and vow to change them. Pretty shallow rhetoric that requires little but the writing and persuasive ability of a reasonably erudite high school sophomore.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10668
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests