Sitting here in the blind...

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

Sitting here in the blind...

Postby quackhunter99 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:49 am

And I'm losing all faith in humanity and the future of duck hunting. So far we have had 3 groups of people set up directly across our decoy spread from us and continually ignore warnings. They have sky blasted and wounded one duck all morning. I thought public lakes were bad, but these WMAs are 10 times worse.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Re: Sitting here in the blind...

Postby seminole_sigmanu » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:12 am

No different in ga.

PCS is crazy, glad I'm not there.
muddy-feet
seminole_sigmanu
hunter

Postby jedisme » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:56 am

As the season progresses the less and less you will see other hunters, has always been my experience opening week is usually a goat rodeo.
jedisme
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:31 pm

I know opening week has always been a rodeo. I've hunted opening day in Tallahassee since I was in elementary school. I'm just saying that what I saw today was beyond what I thought was even possible. And what I noticed is that it was mostly 30 and 40 year old men who were guilty of it all. Yes there were some people my age (college) being like that, but most of the guys I saw doing it were the older men. Oh and if you are posted up and shining people off, if you shine someone (me) and you are given a quick flash back with a light and keep coming at you, that probably means they acknowledge you are there and are just trying to go past you to get to another spot. You don't need to keep continuously shine the passerby with you Q Beam. I'll admit I exchanged some heated words with an older gentleman when I came into a pothole to see if it was empty this morning and he would not stop blinding me with his q beam and repeatedly yelling at me that I better not set up there. Even though I was just turning around and had already told him I was not going to. Also please please please put the duck call away unless you absolutely know when and how to use it. I left early today because the guy who set up next to me who not stop blowing his call which sounded like a dying cow. Sorry for the rant, but this morning has me never wanting to hunt public land again.
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Image these are some of the people who set up on us. No blind, 4 mallard decoys, and an imaginary range of 100 yards in the air Image these people couldn't find a spot because their plan A was taken. So what do they do? They sit in the middle of open water during prime shooting time flaring ducks and paddling through decoy spreads, and they eventfully end up setting up right in front of another hunters decoys who was set up about 200 yards from us
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby Wingin'it » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:45 pm

I heard some world class calling this morning….at nothing…just for fun…and then they brought out the whistles :hammer:
Wingin'it
hunter

Postby FSUDuck » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Wingin'it wrote:I heard some world class calling this morning….at nothing…just for fun…and then they brought out the whistles :hammer:

Thats terrible. We only call in an attempt to turn birds. And even then one person only blows a few short percise calls. We never just sit there and quack to quack. You should not be practicing a duck call on opening day, that should have been down months ago. Then again I know I am preaching to the choir. As the season progresses,the sky blasters and squawkers should lose interest.
FSUDuck
hunter

Postby Wingin'it » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:19 pm

I know I am referring to some other goons sitting close enough for me to see what would be around them. They were doing the calling, not me
Wingin'it
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:57 pm

It's rare for me to ever take my calls out of my blind bag when i hunt in Florida except for my mojo remote and dog whistle. In my opinion if you sit there and try to turn a ringneck with a mallard call you need to rethink your approach
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby Roboduck11 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:27 pm

I really don't think there was a time all morning that I didn't hear at least two mallard calls being blown simultaneously.
Roboduck11
hunter

Postby allnighter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:49 pm

I saw the same guys in the same spot will the same setup and constantly lowing a teal call during teal season.
allnighter
hunter

Postby cpoplayer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:37 am

I didn't have any one horn in on me Saturday morning but then I didn't have any ducks close enough to shoot at either. To be honest, I'd rather sit on small backwater pond and not shoot anything than to deal with all that out on the main lake. I'll reserve my hunting in the main part of the lake for later in the season on weekdaysand afternoon hunts. It is just hard to believe how some folks have no common sense about things.
cpoplayer
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Luckily I made the decision to go to Ms to my lease but I had several buddies hunting here and it's a shame at what I heard. Everyone of them said the exact same story... People setting up with no decoys pass shooting at birds 80 yards in the sky. The birds wanted to work but all but a couple of hunters were skyblasting. It's almostike it's a social event these guys get together sit on the bank and drink beer all night then go hunt and ruin it for people trying to do it right. I applaud you guys that went out there and tried to do it the right way. You are more of a hunter than any of those guys will ever be. I don't understand how these guys can validate what they are doing out there on opening days. I wish the Feds and the wardens would stay out there on opening weekends and check everyone thoroughly including me.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby jedisme » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:55 pm

I quit hunting out there years ago just for that reason. Pretty crappy the best times growing up were out there.
jedisme
hunter

Postby Ajaxian » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Had decent luck on local Tally lake. Closest guy was about 400 yards I was surrounded by boats but every one kept a good distance. There were guys mashing the mallard calls and sky busting but not the worst of what I have seen. We came back with 5 ducks between the two of us. Wasn't the greatest hunt in the world but felt good to get out. We left two woodies out there that did the disappearing act under some lilly pads. That kind of sucked.
Ajaxian
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting