today

From the Berkshires to Cape Cod, Here is the place for the Bay State waterfowler to discuss and share their Massachusetts duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: captainkevan, Tim D, HeritageHunter, MIKE J., JoeP

today

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:08 pm

by the looks of the 5-day forecast...this was probably the last time i will be hunting the spot i was at today.

tough paddling out against a stiff breeze this morning. no action at lst. saw a good number flying into their regular cove where there is a house, of course...but none would cooperate until about 45 minutes later. that was when i had a group of 10 or so mallards circle my spread a good 6 or 7 times. i suck at calling but i am getting a little better and it really made my day to see them banking back towards me after calling at their wingtips and tailfeathers. the group circled my spread over and over and at times their wings were cupping and i thought they were gonna come in but the majority ended up heading towards the cove with the house. however, 2 drakes actually broke off from the group, circled one more time and then cupped up landing gear down right into my decoys. i popped up and shot the first one as his feet hit the water and then whiffed on the second one as he was boogering out. i really should have had them both. on the paddle back i jumped two drake woodies but whiffed once again. first woodies ive seen in weeks, too. :no:

still, it made my day to work that group of mallards. i could have taken several passing shots as they circled the spread but i really wanted to decoy them and was happy to at least fool 2 of them. no pic batteries in the camera went dead.

hope everybody had a good day out there. :beer:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: today

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:51 pm

Nice job Leakey. My area was pretty much void of ducks but full of geese, tons flying. Of course I was not set up for geese and I was tucked in a small area where geese don't tend to light in. I was able to at least call a few off a large flock and they gave me a good passing shot and I connected on one. Funny, looking back to a hunt last year the same thing happened around this time, no ducks but geese.
112313.JPG
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Nice Job Guy's.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Red Suited Iceman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:40 pm

Way to go Professor and Baymen! :beer:
Red Suited Iceman
hunter

Postby Joser06 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Nice job getting those mallards to respond to you. I had a flock of woodies fly by yesterday morning but they were a ways away. I am thinking they are the last ones we will be seeing this year. I am ready for some fresh birds to move in...
Joser06
hunter

Postby Zone11-Dh » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Good job! Work is killing me ! I have not been out in weeks but it's great to see you all out there bangin birds. I have a vaca comming up and got to make up for lost time.
Zone11-Dh
hunter

Postby JTR » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:01 am

Good work guys. I got skunked yesterday like I never have before. There were tons of birds. Mallards, blacks, hundreds of ringers and a couple woodies and teal. NOTHING would come near me. I thought I played the wind right coming in, but I think that was what messed me up. Either that or there was duck repellent all around me. Saw nothing from the deer stand in the afternoon either.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:11 pm

you'll get them next time, JTR. hundreds of ringers, you say?? very nice. i havent seen any more since i got my ringer limit last week. they were delicious, too, wrapped in bacon and cooked til pink on a hot skillet. would love to take a few more.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:27 pm

There is quite a few ringers in the area right now! JTR was right, Flocks of 30 - 50 at a time with feet down.
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Massachusetts Duck Hunting