Cut/Cracked Pad... Need Help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Cut/Cracked Pad... Need Help

Postby Joetpr » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:07 pm

My dog was training today polishing up some things just before season opener and on his way back from a retrieve he dropped the bumper and limped back to me. I looked at his feet and didn't see anything. So I sent him to pick up the bumper he dropped and he did. He also stopped limping. He also did one more water retrieve and I called it quits.

I go to load him in his kennel and I noticed a drop of blood on the tailgate. I got home and washed the mud off him and noticed his back right foot had a cut or crack on the pad. I'm not sure which.

The vet on call said to clean it with betadine, use neosporin, and wrap it. They said they would give him anti-biotics Monday.

Here's a picture of it. What do ya'll think of it? Will it be healed enough to hunt Thursday or how long should he be out? I hear this is a pretty common injury so somebody has to know what to do.

Joetpr
hunter

Re: Cut/Cracked Pad... Need Help

Postby Jcochran88 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Joetpr wrote:My dog was training today polishing up some things just before season opener and on his way back from a retrieve he dropped the bumper and limped back to me. I looked at his feet and didn't see anything. So I sent him to pick up the bumper he dropped and he did. He also stopped limping. He also did one more water retrieve and I called it quits.

I go to load him in his kennel and I noticed a drop of blood on the tailgate. I got home and washed the mud off him and noticed his back right foot had a cut or crack on the pad. I'm not sure which.

The vet on call said to clean it with betadine, use neosporin, and wrap it. They said they would give him anti-biotics Monday.

Here's a picture of it. What do ya'll think of it? Will it be healed enough to hunt Thursday or how long should he be out? I hear this is a pretty common injury so somebody has to know what to do.

Really hard to tell with pic
Jcochran88
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:32 pm

The cut is about 1/2 inch long and goes straight through the black leathery part. The inside is showing but it doesn't go any deeper. I'll try to get a better picture tonight when I re-dress it.

Funny how when it happened he wasn't bothered too much but now he's milking it for everything its worth.
Joetpr
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Do like your vet said and clean it up.
You will see him Monday and he can advise you about hunting. It looks pretty minor in the photo but I an't no vet. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:22 am

Here's a updated pic of this morning. Wound looks clean. I talked to vet again. They said if its stopped bleeding to let the air hit it and don't cover it up. Said theres a product called cut-heal to spray on it. I got some and sprayed it on there. Seems to coat the area.

Joetpr
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:08 am

Same thing happened to my pup but a little worse.

One vet said he needed stitches.

Another vet said the stitches would rip out and is a waste of money and time.

We cleaned the wound everyday, and superglued the top portion of the cut (not the entire inside) as recommended by our vet then TRIED to keep him calm and not jumping around.

Ultimately the cut healed together from the bottom up to the top at which point we stopped the super glue and allowed the last portion to close together.

I didn't take him hunting while the pad was healing up.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby KyMike » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:17 am

My buddy laid open his thumb with a knife and went to the ER. They stopped the bleeding, cleaned it out and used superglue to close it instead of stitches. I'm sure they have a medical name and price but the doc said regular superglue works just the same.
KyMike
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:15 am

Keep it clean... Keep him off it.... And time all you can do!! Know several it's happened too takes about2 weeks
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby mjohnson81 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:24 am

Mine did the same thing, although not as bad. The tough part is keeping it clean. Every time he would go outside it seemed like he would get dirt and debris inside it. After a few weeks though it heeled up.

The important thing it to keep him off it as much as possible and keep it clean.
mjohnson81
hunter

Postby RShockley » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:37 pm

KyMike wrote:My buddy laid open his thumb with a knife and went to the ER. They stopped the bleeding, cleaned it out and used superglue to close it instead of stitches. I'm sure they have a medical name and price but the doc said regular superglue works just the same.

It's called Dermabond. It is pretty much the same as super glue. They just give it a medical sounding name so they can charge 10 times the price. With super glue just be careful not to get it down in the wound. Try putting some on a Q-tip and then quickly rubbing it over the top, as the wound is held closed, before it dries. It is easier with a second pair of hands if you have someone to help. Do that a few times to add coats for strength.
RShockley
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Approximately 24 hrs after the incident now. The cut seem to be healing somewhat and not nearly as jagged. I've been soaking it in betadine every 6 hours, applying cut-heal, and putting on a new baby sock. He's got the hang of walking on 3 legs.

Joetpr
hunter

Postby labsforme » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Last year I was training in a cow pasture and ripped and tore the pads on my dogs feet.Had to scratch her from a trial that weekend. On pads I trim dead skin off the edges of the tear/cut so that it won't reopen and heals better.For the first couple of days Neosporin and keep clean.Then got Musher's Secret and painted on and let dry. I was able to run her again in about 10 days.

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:28 pm

I would definately not take him thursday. I would wait it out. No point in risking further injuries. It sucks but should heal in couple weeks.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Talked to our K9 handler and he recommended EMT Gel. Got some and soaked the wound. It absolutely lit him on fire I think because he tried to nip at me and pulled away. Hasn't done that yet any other time. However, it created a rock hard seal like glue and is supposed to promote healing with collagen and protein. He is completely different. He can run now and acts like theres nothing wrong with him. This stuff is amazing. He won't hunt till its completely healed but I bet it takes less time now than without emt gel.

Joetpr
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Very nice. I haven't heard of EMT Gel, I will have to check that out.

Are you supposed to use it in the entire wound or just the upper most portion? I know for super glue you place it so just the top edges glue together similar to stitches.

If you can place it in the whole wound and it still promotes healing then that stuff is pretty amazing. Wish I knew about that when my pup cut his pad.

Where can you find EMT Gel?
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:12 am

yareelohim wrote:
Where can you find EMT Gel?

I got it at Tractor Supply Co because there is a store here but Cabelas has it too. Its $15.00 pretty much anywhere.

It's sorta weird because it dries like that and somehow seals the wound but still lets it breath and be moist. I apply it twice a day now and when I go to re-apply it the previous application is gone or soaked in or something.

It says to apply it directly to the wound and the surrounding tissue. I've only used it 4 times now on him and there is a definate difference in the wound. The cut edges have bonded to the red tissue and the red tissue is turning into what looks like a pad. It really is amazing stuff from what I've seen.
Joetpr
hunter

Postby yareelohim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:33 am

Great to know. Thank you.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:53 pm

I wouldn't hunt him till he is all healed up, I know it stinks but the more he can rest it the sooner he will be 100%. Just my personal opinion, and as he is your dog I'm sure you will do what you feel is best. Good luck to him and to you hunting thursday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Postby Go4thegreen » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:56 am

Same thing happened to my 7 year old black, don't hunt him it could get infected from the field or water he's hunting in which could make it worse. Have to retrieve your own birds for awhile
Go4thegreen
hunter

Postby kwacksmacker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:19 am

boy that sounds familiar. splits take longer to heal. you could cut and paste the quote above and same thing happened to us. this time the vet cleaned it up and wrapped it, hit him with some antibiotics and gave me a bottle of vetromycin to spray on it. unwrapped it after a day and kept him as inactive as i could. spray two or three times a day and a couple weeks later we were good to go.
totals for 09/10 season
5 bald eagles, 3 swans, 475 hen canvassbacks, 37 pintails, 400 teal blue wings and the season hasn't even started.
kwacksmacker
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:24 am

All this is good advise. We hunt in saw grass and this happens to ours dogs on the regular. We use Banixx with good results. We Get it from a horse feed store. Really helps with healing!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385738643.922886.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385738665.131823.jpg
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum