White and Wild!

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

White and Wild!

Postby R-Factor » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:37 pm

I arrived at "Old Faithful" this morning to find half the lake frozen with seemingly gale force winds and about 2" of fresh snow...just right! It felt like hunting the north pole, but the ducks were active all morning long. I arrived late and still left early with a limit of mallards and a black...probably one of the fastest, most action filled late fall hunts I've ever seen. :biggrin: How were things in your corner of Maine?
R-Factor
hunter

Re: White and Wild!

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:08 am

was hopeful on the coastal plain, went out at mid-day to 'play' the tide.....NADA at a place I was confident of.....flushed several out of the spot on the way in (all mallards) but they never came back.....for this spot it needs to be frozen inland, so probably just a week or two early.....back at it on Thursday
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cpetit33 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:00 pm

i had a great morning in southern Maine mallards everywhere but the waters were pretty bad took a wave over the back of the boat when i was picking up the decoys.
Cpetit33
hunter

Postby Hutch25 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:00 pm

We also played the tides. And found many black and Whites, but few black duck, and no mallards. I never pulled a trigger, but it does look good for next week.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:12 pm

Hunted the corn yesterday afternoon and had hundreds, literally hundreds circling too high, couldn't get any to commit. Didn't have my mojo's because I forgot them, was kicking myself for that big time.
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:30 pm

It amazes me every year how a lot of the blacks and mallards will hold tough up north till literally every non-moving water source is hard. With that said, I'm guessing my "Old Faithful" will not be an option for next weekend after this weeks temps. :sad: Never know though...while I was there yesterday, it went from 1/2 froze to probably less than 1/4 froze in just a few hours with temps in the high 20s and sustained winds over 20 mph.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:05 pm

I havent been hunting much due to spending a lot of time on my new venture, a commercial Maple sugaring operation, but yesterday the geese were coming over in droves all day long. I am guessing that the county is looking pretty bare by the number of birds I saw.....Good luck to those in the south
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:09 pm

K.I. Joe wrote:I havent been hunting much due to spending a lot of time on my new venture, a commercial Maple sugaring operation, but yesterday the geese were coming over in droves all day long. I am guessing that the county is looking pretty bare by the number of birds I saw.....Good luck to those in the south

Sounds like a worthwhile time investment there KI- keep up posted on this! I'd buy from you. :thumbsup:
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting