Need to vent

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Need to vent

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:44 am

What a Saturday. Woe is me.

Thought for sure that I had got up early enough. Ran to get the soup heated. Got the guns & gear in the 250, started it up, cranked on the oldies, looked @ the gas gauge - knew I should have done that last night.

Got to Sheetz @ 6:15 (broke some laws). Gassed & pulling out @ 6:23; speeding to get Lake Arthur. Turned @ Prospect backtracking on 422. Pulled into the "parking lot" - barely a place to fit the truck. Decided to check out things - 6:35; almost running down the old highway. I saw one head. A bit further I saw another head, plus their dekes in the water. I left turned and swiftly walked 75 yards only to see another set up. It was now LST. My favourite spot was gone. I decided to go to Geneva. Ran to my truck, sped up to 19, and flew to Geneva Swamp.

OK - tried to pull into the access road to the only wadable section of the swamp; Game Commission gated it! Gate was locked! What now? Got back in the 250, drove a mile north to the other side of the swamp. On the other side of the railroad tracks. Found nothing wadable there. 8:00. What must I do? All my dekes, I thought, are for water. Then I remembered that I never took 6 supermags out of the bed. Off to Murderers' Row.

It was going on 9:00 when I got there. Not a soul in the nearby corn field. Took out the supermags, set 'em up. Went back to get gun and bucket - I heard shooting in the swamp. As I was stumbling thought the corn w/ gun & bucket a flock of 12 geese flew past watching me & laughing.

After an hour & a half I picked up and headed out. Chose Wilson Rd as a shortcut. As I was trying to engage Hi 4 I heard a grind. Let go, tried again - grinding. Stopped, got out - hubs were unlocked! Thank God for the warning. But - how did the hubs unlock? I never unlock them. Then I thought about a guy I had seen when leaving Murderers' Row who was walking his dogs (over the line, I might add) who gave me a dirty look as I pulled out. But - no proof. So I got out, locked them, got in, shifted to Hi 4, drove off.

Drove down on a "joy(?!) ride to Hartstown Swamp. Checked Hi & Low 4 to make sure all was well (it was) and proceeded to Walmart to fork over $50.00 for a turkey and a duckling for Thanksgiving. How appropriate. :huh:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Re: Need to vent

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:31 am

You got up what... early enough? If you are going to hunt public land you might want to try getting there around 3 or earlier to get a spot. Heck you didn't even find a spot until 900. You woke up way to late... you would have missed the first light flight anyways. Just my two cents!!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:32 am

Sounds like you should have got an earlier start Saturday morning.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby bassmaster624 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Sorry about your luck.From where I was at you didn't miss much.I hunted pymie and only seen 3 ducks.
women love me and bass fear me
bassmaster624
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:25 pm

bassmaster624 wrote:Sorry about your luck.From where I was at you didn't miss much.I hunted pymie and only seen 3 ducks.

Thanks for the understanding, bass.

After all was said & done the 4X4 on Wilson Rd. was my only real concern. But since I didn't get any trouble lights on m' dash - and everything worked on the Hartstown towpath - I was relieved. No reason to louse up a truck for nothing.

God willing I'll have more opportunities. Hope to see you up there sometime.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby huntsem » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:06 pm

So did you see very many ducks / geese around? Hear much shooting?
huntsem
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:38 pm

huntsem wrote:So did you see very many ducks / geese around? Hear much shooting?

Shooting @ Geneva, some @ Pymie Swamp.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby b_n_wGunner » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:50 am

Let me get this straight...

You were at the Sheetz at 6:15AM on a SATURDAY and still expected to have a place to hunt at MORAINE come shooting time?? Seriously? Here is a tip from experience - My decoys are usually set by 5AM. We boat hunt there, launch around 4:45 and are setting the spread by 5. We always get the spot we want.

All the preparations for morning at completed before bed. Breakfast is cooked, the truck and boat are loaded and gassed, all my gear is in the boat. When I wake up at 3AM, I heat my breakfast while I am pulling on my pants. Throw the dog some food, eat my breakfast, and out of the house by 3:30. Meet everyone by 4ish, if they are late they are left behind. We get on to the lake, and then take care of business.
GROUND POUNDIN THEM GEESE AND ARKANSAW'N THEM DUCKS
b_n_wGunner
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:44 pm

b_n_wGunner wrote:Let me get this straight...

You were at the Sheetz at 6:15AM on a SATURDAY and still expected to have a place to hunt at MORAINE come shooting time?? Seriously? Here is a tip from experience - My decoys are usually set by 5AM. We boat hunt there, launch around 4:45 and are setting the spread by 5. We always get the spot we want.

All the preparations for morning at completed before bed. Breakfast is cooked, the truck and boat are loaded and gassed, all my gear is in the boat. When I wake up at 3AM, I heat my breakfast while I am pulling on my pants. Throw the dog some food, eat my breakfast, and out of the house by 3:30. Meet everyone by 4ish, if they are late they are left behind. We get on to the lake, and then take care of business.

Remember Gunner:
This wasn't my 1st trip there.
I hate to "broadcast" this but I'm a caregiver. That was part of the attempt to leave home. I knew I was doomed even before I left the house. Probably should have gone to Murderers' Row when I left; but I was foolhardy & determined to go to Moraine. I just never had so many obstacles to getting to a hunting destination before that I had to get it out. I laugh now; even joked about it w/ my students.
A far cry from the Saturday before.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Here's what I mean about "the Saturday before."Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
macdaddy
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 am

They've been gating that particular launch for the last few years now. Too many people were getting stuck, even those with 4x4s. They don't have the money to improve the road. Their solution was to gate the road.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting