Outboard Advice

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Outboard Advice

Postby tbyars » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:09 am

Hello. I am heading up to do some sea duck hunting over Thanskgiving holiday before I deploy the first week of Dec. I have a 4-stroke Yamaha houtboard and wanted to see what I should do to make sure the motor is safe after pulling it for the day in the cold weather? Any advice as it is brand new and the temps look cold so I wanted to make sure that I took care of it properly. I have always had a mud motor so I haven't had to worry about it.
Thanks,
Tim
tbyars
hunter

Re: Outboard Advice

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:13 am

Thank you for your service. :beer:

You say it is 'brand new'. I'm assuming that it has been broken in properly. Other guys have much more experience than me in the salt, but if you're concerned back it in and fire it up the night before.

I would be sure to have all other safety equipment in order too. :hammer:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Hutch25 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:45 am

The motor will be fine. Trim it way down after you pull, and let it drain. I am running a Yamaha 90HP 4st, and it starts on the first flick of the key- even cold( and Saturday it was cold!). The key will be to allow the motor to warm, and ensure you have water pumping...which can take a moment if your port is filled with ice. The new motors (both Yamaha and Mercury) we run have been outstanding in very cold weather.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby BMowatt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:06 am

Before you put it away make sure you flush it well.
BMowatt
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:53 pm

it's a Yamaha. you'll be fine. tougher than a bag of snap on hammers, and as reliable as they come! :thumbsup:
Mike the Fox
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting