Duck Hunting Forum banner

Word of the Day, November 25, 2013, Luke 6:27-29

714 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  timf 
#1 ·
Word of the Day, November 25, 2013

" From the moment I heard about the Lord and His Word, Well, It seemed to me too good to be true. There were questions and doubts, I tried to figure it out. But the best that I could do was to wander around in the Lord that I found. Until my questions started answerin themselves. Can He, Could He, Would He? Yes, He can, He could, He would, and He did."

Luke 6:27-29

27 But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.

Love our enemies, that is hard to do and then we are to do good to them. Christ prayed for His enemies on the cross. What an example of loving our enemies. Our enemies are to be conquered by love. Jesus says that we have a duty to love our enemies and to speak and do all the good we can for them.

Is this what we are doing daily? Do we fight back and talk about them, curse them, send emails, write letters or books or talk to other christians about them under the ideal that we want other people to pray for them but really we are spreading gossip?

What are we told to do? Come one, a little interaction here via the web, (send me the answers) what are we to do? BLESS THEM and PRAY FOR THEM. Great, you guys got the right answer. Thanks for playing along with Word of the Day........

We know what pray means but really what does blessing them mean. Christ commands us not to curse them, but to reach out and to love and bless them also. I want you to think of someone that has really hurt you and ask yourself a question today, can I pray for them with a Christ like heart and then go and bless them? I had to learn this with my trial, to pray for the judge, the US Attorney, my lawyer, my co-defendant, the CO's fellow inmates and everybody that wanted to change my normal life and to then try to bless them. It was very hard to do, but with the grace of GOD on my side I was able to do this, however not perfectly and completely though. The flesh still takes over sometimes.

I am dealing with this now as we speak were someone wants to hurt my family, my oldest daughter and other families involved and they just think they are telling their story and what they are really doing is despitefully using all of us no matter what the cost for everybody involved. I am praying for them, not sure how I can bless them yet, praying for that also.

In Canaan, a brother in Christ use to recite this verse with a bit of a change, he would say go ahead and hit my one cheek, then I'll turn and you can hit me on the other cheek and then he would finish with, it does not say they can hit me the third time, so now I can knock you out after the first two hits. We always laughed but truly we are not only to turn the other cheek when someone offends us, but then give them the coat off our backs. In the days of the Old and New Testaments a cloak was something that a creditor could take from you to pay your debt but the coat could not be taken. It was worn by the high priest, by kings and other high ranking officials. They were used also for the common man as means of warmth and protection. However, Christ tells us to give them both to our enemies. We might want to reread that verse again......

Christ tells us here in verse 29 that retaliation is forbidden. Meekness is what is needed in this situation. We must have the Christian spirit of love and to endureth all things. We are not to return evil with evil. I believe we can all work on this and it always goes both ways, we need to ask for forgiveness for our mistakes and we need to forgive those that trespass against us, pray for them and to bless them for we are told by our LORD to do this with brotherly love.

" I don't wanna go through the motions, I don't wanna go one more day. Without Your all consuming passion inside of me. I don't wanna spend my whole life asking. What if I had given everything? Instead of going through the motions."

Timothy Furness

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.