My First Hunt (sorta) & First Limit (shoulda been)

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

My First Hunt (sorta) & First Limit (shoulda been)

Postby waterfowler0013 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:45 pm

First of all, thank you to everyone on here for your post and all the great information.

Saturday I went out on my first hunt, well first not counting the previous weekend when no shots were fired. I went out with a guide, just northeast of Waco. It is his first year doing the guide service, and it only cost me $50. I was knee deep in the water and a blind, and the action was great.fortunately, my waiters pants jacket and all held up and I was able to stay warm. while we were finishing up setting decoys, a large group of mallards flew over that were well within our range. before I even got my gun loaded, a wood duck plopped down right in the middle of the decoys. when I put the shells in, it took off. a few minutes later, a single ringneck hen came in and i took it with my first shot. Next we had a group of 12-16 mallards decoy perfectly, and i got my first greenhead. The action continued like this off and on with the lulls in the heavy rain. Overall i ended up with those first two, along with a pintail drake. I missed quite a few close shots and should have limitrd out. However, it was a grrat trip and i wasnt upset over that at all!

I will be back for more this weekend!!!! Thanks yall!
waterfowler0013
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting