New duck hunter this year, just wanted to say hello.

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

New duck hunter this year, just wanted to say hello.

Postby boot1990 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:33 pm

hey guys,

My name is Alex. Just joined the boards and am also new to duck hunting. This is my first season. I am 24 and got interested in duck hunting because I always enjoyed watching the geese and ducks migrate this time of year and also love shooting clays so I figured it would be fun to put some meat on the table also. So far I've only got one bird this year, a green winged teal. Been hunting a small pond that a buddy and myself got permission to hunt from the landowner. Havent seen hardly any birds on the days we hunt ( I'm only able to hunt weekends) yet it never fails that on my way into work in the mornings there are birds everywhere. This past weekend we went to hunt our spot and the landowner had guests so we could not hunt. So we decided to try Mazonia for the first time, got there late, around 8, because of our spot not working out. saw nothing and headed home. Really hoping the remaining part of the season works out. My hunting partner and myself are both new to this and are limited on budget. We don't have many people we know to help us out so we are figuring where to go, when to go, all that stuff on our own, which I am fine with. But would like to get some birds here eventually, lol. If anyone in the general area (I live in Plainfield but don't mind driving) would like to show me the ropes that would be great as our spot doesn't seem to be holding bird, but I certainly don't expect that to happen as I understand people want to protect their hunting spots. Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself, Thanks, and happy hunting.

- Alex
boot1990
Newb

Re: New duck hunter this year, just wanted to say hello.

Postby boot1990 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:36 pm

by the way, here is the teal I got :)

cooked up nicely!

kept one of the wings and preserved it too

boot1990
Newb

Postby afterhim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:56 pm

pm'ed but God only knows how long until it actually sends...
afterhim
Newb

Postby boot1990 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:03 pm

thanks. I replied to your PM. nice to see another newbie on here that is also excited about figuring it all out.
boot1990
Newb

Postby ReaperWaterFowl » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:50 pm

If you have some questions or need some help I can do my best. As for going out I may be able to arrange that too but this cold has shut down the lake so any hunting I do around here is for geese. You got layouts? Pm me any questions, ill try and help.
BOW-LOWS PRODUCTIONS PROSTAFF
ReaperWaterFowl
hunter

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:13 pm

welcome to the chat hope we can help you out on here. Sorry to head that you havent had a great first season but if you stick with it your time will come i promis been in the blind since i was about 4-5 years old so 24 or so years experience ive had really good seasons which this is turning out to be one of them and ive had them where i had rather salept in most days which if you know me i NEVER sleep in during hunting season. but anyways any questions feel free to pm anytime i actually live in braidwood dont mess with mazonia a whole lot but i am able to keep up on whats going on around there pretty easily so :beer: :welcome:
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter

Postby QuackSmacker935 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:58 am

:welcome:
QuackSmacker935
hunter

Postby boot1990 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:40 am

ReaperWaterFowl wrote:If you have some questions or need some help I can do my best. As for going out I may be able to arrange that too but this cold has shut down the lake so any hunting I do around here is for geese. You got layouts? Pm me any questions, ill try and help.

thanks man,

no layouts. my gear so far consists of two dozen mallard deeks, 7 goose floaters, half dozen teal floaters, mojo wind duck, my camo gear, calls, waders, and my gun. property ive been hunting has a boat that we use but ill be buying something for next season so I can hit the Illinois river and also the des plains blinds. some mornings we hunted this season we would be sitting there not seeing a single bird and the whole time we would hear people on the river blasting em. sounds like the pond has been better this week, this cold might be helping. property owner is telling us there have been around 30 birds on the water both Monday and Tuesday morning so we will be going tomorrow morning to give it another shot. would be awesome to come home with some birds on thanksgiving morning!
boot1990
Newb

Postby boot1990 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:45 am

thanks for the replies everyone, hope you all have a great thanksgiving.
boot1990
Newb

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:30 am

Regarding a boat. CAUTION! Wait till you can afford a safe rig. If you plan to hunt the Illinois, I'd guess at least a wider 16 footer with a 20 hp or larger (but not bigger than what the boat is rated for). I've run a 16 ft. Big Jon with a 25 for years, and generally was OK. However, there have been numerous occasions when I've decided not to go out or had to spend the night on an island. There isn't a duck or fish in the river worth dying over.
Last edited by riverrat47 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:24 pm

Boot pay attention to riverrat47 he was on the rivers before you was born. :thumbsup:
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:18 pm

charlie beard wrote:Boot pay attention to riverrat47 he was on the rivers before you was born. :thumbsup:

Great advice here.

:welcome:
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Also, if you aren't an experienced boater...or even if you are...take a Coast Guard course. It never hurts to re-learn some things.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby 1080tommy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey, glad to see you started duck hunting. I love waterfowl hunting and would be happy to help in any way that I can. I hunt over water mostly public ground and I have an xpress 1650 with a Yammie 40hp. Good luck for the rest of the year. My lake spots have iced over pretty good and the river is probably not too far behind with this weather. Fun to get out this morning and break some ice with her. Hope you continue to have good success and it is great that you got one to come in and you shot it. Hope that luck continues for you.
1080tommy
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting