Which Collar to ask for Christmas??

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Which Collar to ask for Christmas??

Postby YJSONLY » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:45 pm

Which Collar to ask for Christmas?? I do not need a 'fancy top of the line" but would like a good one!
YJSONLY
hunter

Re: Which Collar to ask for Christmas??

Postby Irishwhistler » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Are we to assume you mean an e-collar? And if so, for what use? That would be crucial information along with an approximate budget, befor folks can make intelligent recommendations to you.

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Irishwhistler wrote:Are we to assume you mean an e-collar? And if so, for what use? That would be crucial information along with an approximate budget, befor folks can make intelligent recommendations to you.

Irishwhistler

Yes ecollar. For training and hunting. As far as budget something in the middle. I do not know much info other than I would like for it to vibrate as a option for an attention getter before the "shock ".
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 pm

YJSONLY wrote:...I do not know much info other than I would like for it to vibrate as a option for an attention getter before the "shock ".
Get over that.

The command is the warning. They better obey it.

When you use vibrations and beeps you are only teaching them "stop, or I'll say stop again." Or even worse, "hey, he has that collar thingie on me, I guess I better obey it. He's a big weenie that can't do squat to me. I only obey that collar."
copterdoc
hunter

Postby adustydawg2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Tri Tronics is the best I have used. Try the G3 or Flyway Special. WARNING: Make sure that you know how and when to use the e collars. Get trained by a pro trainer so you don't screw up a potentially good dog. Way too many folks use the e collar as a punishment tool. NEVER do that. There are also a number of videos, books, and articles on how to correctly use the collars.
Collar clinic has several different models and even some refurb models. Hope tis helps. later, Dawg and Bucky :welcome:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:11 am

adustydawg2 wrote:Tri Tronics is the best I have used. Try the G3 or Flyway Special. WARNING: Make sure that you know how and when to use the e collars. Get trained by a pro trainer so you don't screw up a potentially good dog. Way too many folks use the e collar as a punishment tool. NEVER do that. There are also a number of videos, books, and articles on how to correctly use the collars.
Collar clinic has several different models and even some refurb models. Hope tis helps. later, Dawg and Bucky :welcome:

Heed the excellent advice given you by "adustydawg". An e-collar should really be consisered more of a "correction" tool, as opposed to a "training" tool. In essence, the collar is used to make "corrections" via stimulus for non-compliance with a known (previously taught / embedded behavior).

An e-collar in the hands of the wrong / poorly trained user, has been the ruin of many potentially good dogs. Properly used, they are an awesome tool for making immediate corrections at a distance between the trainer and subject dog.

Some folks should just plain never pick up an e-collar. If you are going to use one, make certain you understand fully the principles and concepts specific to their intended and proper useage.

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:13 am

Irishwhistler wrote:
adustydawg2 wrote:Tri Tronics is the best I have used. Try the G3 or Flyway Special. WARNING: Make sure that you know how and when to use the e collars. Get trained by a pro trainer so you don't screw up a potentially good dog. Way too many folks use the e collar as a punishment tool. NEVER do that. There are also a number of videos, books, and articles on how to correctly use the collars.

Heed the excellent advice given you by "adustydawg". An e-collar should really be consisered more of a "correction" tool, as opposed to a "training" tool. In essence, the collar is used to make "corrections" via stimulus for non-compliance with a known (previously taught / embedded behavior).

An e-collar in the hands of the wrong / poorly trained user, has been the ruin of many potentially good dogs. Properly used, they are an awesome tool for making immediate corrections at a distance between the trainer and subject dog.

Some folks should just plain never pick up an e-collar. If you are going to use one, make certain you understand fully the principles and concepts specific to their intended and proper useage.

Irishwhistler

Understood. I will be learning and hope not to have use it. But want to have it on the shelf if I do need it. But will learn how/when to use before it is put to use.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby colton341 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:16 am

Tri tronics collars are the best. Only way to go.
colton341
hunter

Postby berudd » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:29 am

If you hope to not have to use it then don't get one. It like you see it as some sort of a last resort to when the dog will not behave. That's not how they are used. If you are going to use an ecollar then you use it all the time. That's how it works otherwise it will not be effective. I am sure other guys have had a similar experience but since I put mine on my dog every time we go out to 'work', which is more like play in her mind, she get's excited when she sees it and runs to me to sit down and wait to get it on. If you plan to leave it on the shelf until you need it, then just leave it on the store shelf. :)

Like others have said, go read up on how they are used before you make a purchase. If you decide that this method of training is not for you then that is fine. But, I think what's not fine, from your dog's perspective, is to use it incorrectly.
berudd
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:16 pm

berudd wrote:If you hope to not have to use it then don't get one. It like you see it as some sort of a last resort to when the dog will not behave. That's not how they are used. If you are going to use an ecollar then you use it all the time. That's how it works otherwise it will not be effective. I am sure other guys have had a similar experience but since I put mine on my dog every time we go out to 'work', which is more like play in her mind, she get's excited when she sees it and runs to me to sit down and wait to get it on. If you plan to leave it on the shelf until you need it, then just leave it on the store shelf. :)

Like others have said, go read up on how they are used before you make a purchase. If you decide that this method of training is not for you then that is fine. But, I think what's not fine, from your dog's perspective, is to use it incorrectly.

Gotcha. Thanks for the input.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:50 pm

TriTronics G3 Sport if you're on a budget. They go for around $230. My recommendation would be the TT Pro 100 and never look back.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:28 pm

j.digiacomo wrote:TriTronics G3 Sport if you're on a budget. They go for around $230. My recommendation would be the TT Pro 100 and never look back.

Unless you can find a used TT Sport, they have been discontinued and replaced by Garmin with the Delta series of collars.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby j.digiacomo » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:55 am

Dakota Creek wrote:Unless you can find a used TT Sport, they have been discontinued and replaced by Garmin with the Delta series of collars.

some stores still have them on the shelves. amazon has a couple listed right now. i haven't heard much about the new delta systems yet; so i am hesitant to recommend them. they will be harder to find in the coming months for sure. most of us with bird/duck dogs are in the 60+lb and over club... and i just hate the 3/4" collars on a dog that size. marketing scheme i'm sure. all the new accessories are being made with 3/4" straps and will not fit any of the old 1" collars.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby hardcorehunter5 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:33 pm

If you train alot...tri tronics pro 100 g3

-Hardcore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hardcorehunter5
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum