Is this mountable?

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: Pete-pec, NickCies80

Is this mountable?

Postby Ducks&bucks14 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:31 am

Is this one Mountable? I hunt the Mississippi most of the season and I tend to shoot one or two nice ones a year, but I do not think I have shot one this nice.

Also I harvest a Drake and hen Pintail in a double this year and I have never shot a Drake Pintail before. Is there a way you would reccomend mounting a Drake pintail with No sprig? I am going to do a hen and drake mount. Or can the Taxidermist put a sprig on it? Let me know what should work or look nice.
Attachments
1456634_10152349440624867_711624718_n.jpg
Ducks&bucks14
hunter

Re: Is this mountable?

Postby koonce727 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Why wouldn't that can be mountable. Even a good taxi can work with a shot up bird to some degree. Yes taxi's will add sprig feathers for ya.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Ducks&bucks14 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:50 am

Yeah I know they could mount just about anything but is it worth mounting? Like is it pretty enough?
Ducks&bucks14
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Hard to tell by looking at one picture. Would also depend on how any you shoot a year. We shoot a pile of them so I get picky. The nicest one I ever shot I failed to mount it cuz I thought I could do better and now looking back at it's pictures i should have mounted that bird.

IMO if you shoot a decent amount every year i wouldn't mount it and hold out for one that is more matured in coloration.

Here's a picture of the one I failed to mount and have been after an equal ever since. To me this is a mature bird that should have been mounted and I kick myself for not doing it.

koonce727
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:50 am

koonce727 wrote:Hard to tell by looking at one picture. Would also depend on how any you shoot a year. We shoot a pile of them so I get picky. The nicest one I ever shot I failed to mount it cuz I thought I could do better and now looking back at it's pictures i should have mounted that bird.

IMO if you shoot a decent amount every year i wouldn't mount it and hold out for one that is more matured in coloration.

Here's a picture of the one I failed to mount and have been after an equal ever since. To me this is a mature bird that should have been mounted and I kick myself for not doing it.

is that two hen mallards there?
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:23 pm

no people shown so who cares if it is!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:34 pm

I don't have any ducks mounted and no immediate desire to have one but that Can would have been the first.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:05 pm

thomashamm2 wrote:
koonce727 wrote:Hard to tell by looking at one picture. Would also depend on how any you shoot a year. We shoot a pile of them so I get picky. The nicest one I ever shot I failed to mount it cuz I thought I could do better and now looking back at it's pictures i should have mounted that bird.

is that two hen mallards there?

It's actually and immature drake mallard on the left(only thing that have him away was him greebin on his way in) and the one the right is a gaddie.
koonce727
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Got into some cans two weeks ago on the mississippi. never shot one before and ended the trip with 42 of them haha
Rhock19
hunter

Postby lilfukr79 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:16 pm

If you dont get many chances to shoot cans and your proud of shootin him mount that SOB. If you get to shoot some every year then look for one that has a nice solid line of black and white on its chest area. You dont want the white/ grey fading into the black part of the chest, you want nice solid line from white to black. Hard to tell from the picture but it looks a litte grey faded on its chest.
lilfukr79
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:10 pm

I agree, I usually mount birds that are memorable. Usually my firsts. You can always go back and try for a prettier one. Two cans I have on the wall are not fully matured but they were my first ones and I like the story behind it all.
Rhock19
hunter

Postby whistlinwings » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:15 am

I totally agree the goldeneye I am getting mounted is only a juvie but it was the first diver i shot and some what a sea duck it just decoyed perfect ran the line like it was suppose to it just made it that much better!
whistlinwings
hunter

Postby Ducks&bucks14 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:44 am

Yeah the Drake can was my only can I shot this year, and I had some friends I graduated with on their first trip to the Mississippi river with me.
Ducks&bucks14
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:25 am

Yeah, mount it. I always want to mount one of my birds but then I end up eating them all. I look back at the pictures and think to myself "I should have mounted that", but damn they taste good.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:44 pm

haha torn between two lovers...food in the stomach and ducks on the wall
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:44 pm

haha torn between two lovers...food in the stomach and ducks on the wall
Rhock19
hunter