cannon eos 33mm film lens question...

A place to share and ask questions about outdoor photography.

Moderators: Kiskadinna, Greenhead Grappler

cannon eos 33mm film lens question...

Postby carlschmarl2 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:25 pm

i have a new cannon eos 35mm film camera...i was just wondering if anyone knew if all cannon lens regardless of digital or 35mm film are the same and will work on my camera...i am looking for a good telephoto lense but i am unsure if all the lenses are the same...i am pretty sure i have an 18-55mm lens on it now, but i would like something with a little bit more "zoom" capability...any suggestions as to a good telephoto lens would be greatly appreciated also...THANKS

carl
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby Wld Fowl » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:20 pm

Every thing I could find tells me you can't use a digital lens for a 35mm.
Here is the cannon web site go under "choose the right product" and it should tell you what you want.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... goryid=101

Good luck look forward to some of your pics.
Ryan
Wld Fowl
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:50 pm

If I understand your question correctly, my answer is this:
Canon SLR camera made these days are part of the EOS series - this includes the rebels, elans, and the higher end digital SLRs.
As long as a lens is designated EOS it should fit. This includes other brands like Tamrons. There is a difference in a select few lenses that are not designed for full-frame bodies but like I said, this a select few.
The only other concern is that some older lenses need to be re-chipped to work with the D-SLRs if they were originally intended for use on film bodies.
Hope this helps out!
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:02 pm

you can use any lens but the ones that are built specifically for cameras with the digial crop factor, even then you can use those but you'd get massive vignetting. I'd imagine if canon makes it and it has an ef mount it should work.
((* _________________ v ____ v
*)) __________________ v___v
((*~~~~~><)>~~~~____v_ v
*)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~____v
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

:)

Postby aeonstar » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:40 pm

canon lenses marked EF-S will not work with your film camera. The EF glass will work just fine. the 75mm-300mm EF should fit what you are after. Most of the stores have them around 250 bucks or so.

Bill Wright
aeonstar
hunter

Postby carlschmarl2 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:41 am

thanks guys!

bill, i was actually trying to decide between the 70mm-300mm lens or the 75mm-300mm...do you have any experience with either one? which one do you reccomend? i sent some time on cannons website trying to compare but i dont really see what the difference is between the two...

this is the one i was thinking about... EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

thanks again!

carl
carlschmarl2
hunter

glass

Postby aeonstar » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:23 pm

well the 70-300 is a good choice. I have one and shoot a lot of photos with it. The 75-300 is not the same class of lens. It has a dc focus drive and the construction and quality of the glass is not near the same as the 70-300IS usm . The cost is a lot more for it as well. Double the cost or better i think. With out Image stabilization it will be hard to shoot at 300mm with out a bit of camera shake . So you end up with a tripod. Not that you cant do it but im not that smooth. here are some images shot with the cheep 75-300 glass
Http://aeonstar.org/hunting/backbay/index.html
here are a few photos shot with the 70-300IS usm glass
http://aeonstar.org/hunting/final/1.jpg
http://aeonstar.org/hunting/final/2.jpg
http://aeonstar.org/hunting/final/teal1.jpg

If you have any more questions feel free to IM me windadog on yahoo IM or email me

Bill Wright
aeonstar
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:53 am

some canon lenses will fit and some will not. canon changed there lense mount awhile back...which sucks. with a nikon you can pick any lens from any time and it will fit any nikon....i still shoot canon though. As far as lenses if you plan on selling your images are have the money, get a lens with atleast a 2.8 fstop/aperture. now your gunna pay alot more for that but in return you get a quicker and sharper lens. the 2.8 represents the lowest aperture that you can shoot at with that lens. the cheaper ones are usually 4.5/5.6 and all the better ones are 2.8 with some fixed lenses with less. what the aperture does is control your depth of field as well as the amount of light exposed to the negative while the shutter controls the amount of time its exposed.
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby carlschmarl2 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:03 am

so i've decided on the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens. my local photo store has it for $690, which i think is pretty steap considering i've seen them online for cheaper.

my question is: can someone reccomend an online store that has a good reputation and decent prices? thanks!

carl
carlschmarl2
hunter

mind if i ask

Postby aeonstar » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:48 pm

have you thought about going digital?

Bill
aeonstar
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:18 pm

get the sigma 70-300 DO instead of the canon, IMO low end sigma glass is better than low end canon glass.
((* _________________ v ____ v
*)) __________________ v___v
((*~~~~~><)>~~~~____v_ v
*)) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~____v
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:07 am

carlschmarl2 wrote:so i've decided on the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens. my local photo store has it for $690, which i think is pretty steap considering i've seen them online for cheaper.

my question is: can someone reccomend an online store that has a good reputation and decent prices? thanks!

carl

I buy about 98% of my stuff from here...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby aeonstar » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:27 pm

the 70-300IS usm is not cheep glass . The 75-300 canon lens is cheep! and you can tell the second you pick it up. At 300mm 460mm affective holding a non stabilized lens is very hard to do. So to me the image stabilization is worth the extra cost.
aeonstar
hunter

Return to Outdoor Photography Forum