Formal Program - Starts At What Age?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Formal Program - Starts At What Age?

Postby gunshow » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:16 pm

I've read a lot about different programs and such but haven't come across much on when to start formal training.
We are letting our 3 m/o be a pup and incorporating some basic commands along with crate and house breaking.

But when "should" the rubber meet the road and we regiment this thing?
gunshow
hunter

Re: Formal Program - Starts At What Age?

Postby Mad Dog 21 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:33 am

In the military we start close to 8-12 months of age for the serious work to begin. Everything leading up to 8months should be the most important part,OB. Now for whatever you plan on doing is on you and your particular dog. I just hope you got your money's worth on the dog /breed you wanted. Can't tell you numbers but trust me we have a lot that wash out. They ain't cheap neither. We'll, I'm sure I didn't help much but hope I gave something.
Mad Dog 21
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:52 am

Define "formal". For me, I consider a pup a "recruit" and his / her training starts with me the moment they become mine. Pups have an incredible amount to learn on their way to becoming competent gundogs. The journey I take with a pup is a cyclical one, not a linear one. I continually work on new concepts and embedding those behaviors, while making certain to revisit those previously worked on and further reinforcing those behaviors desired.

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:11 am

Most programs start formal training somewhere around 6 months.
TCFarmer
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum