Abilene, Tx

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Abilene, Tx

Postby jmscalf » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:46 am

Been browsing this site lately and just thought I'd go ahead and give everybody a hello. Maybe some of us could get together sometime and do a little hunting.
jmscalf
Newb

Re: Abilene, Tx

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Hey jmscalf, Abilene isnt a bad place to hunt if you have private land or access to some. Lake Abilene is so low that there's no water in the hunting area. The sad thing is, that place was great 4-6 years ago. I use to take my boat out and tie it to a tree and now you can walk most of the lake. I live in Midland and hunt wherever I can. Where have you found to hunt around there?
Gig 'Em
Adam
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby jmscalf » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Hey man thanks for the reply, Ive actually got land south of Abilene thats family land, plus a cpl more sections north of Abilene we have been hitting when time allows. Both places have provided several good mornings. I've been more curious about the lakes around here as to which you can hunt and which you cant. Ive heard of Lake Abilene and Hamlin lake, but heard they were both pretty low?
jmscalf
Newb

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:04 am

I've never hunted hamlin, but I used to hunt Abilene all the time. only half of lake Abilene is open to hunting and that half as of a few weeks ago didn't have any water. The timbers used to be great there... all we can do is hope for a few gushers over that area. I hunt with a uncle in law on some private land around Clyde and we see a descent amount of pintail, gadwall, and wigeon. If you have land that is producing, I would stay on that or maybe find out from the TPWD if you can hunt Hamlin. I will be up there hunting sometime in the next split and hopefully get a nice bull sprig. :thumbsup:
Gig 'Em
Adam
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:30 am

Call your local Game Warden, phone number will be listed on TPWD. He can give you an answer.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:21 am

MarkM wrote:Call your local Game Warden, phone number will be listed on TPWD. He can give you an answer.

That will work. One time I was hunting Ray Roberts with some friends for my bachelor weekend, the game warden checked us and asked if we wanted a better spot to hunt the next day. He gave us a less traveled route to some ducks and the next day that spot didn't disappoint. GW's don't always do that, but they should be able to tell you general hunting land questions.
Gig 'Em
Adam
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby RP91 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:51 am

I live in Abilene too. I have some land in Comanche but all the tanks are dry. haven't been able to duck hunt at all this year, mostly been coyote hunting to pass the time. Gonna try to get some hunting in over the holidays on some public land north of fort worth.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
-Declaration of Independence
RP91
Newb

Return to Texas Duck Hunting