Small 6 point

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Small 6 point

Postby FreedomHunter » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Well I went back out to see if the big deer I missed yesterday would show, but no luck. I packed up my gear and headed back to the truck, which is about a mile hike. There is a west/east trail about 10 feet in front of my truck and runs next to the wood line where I enter to get to my spot. Well, I get 10 yards from my truck and look down the trail only to see a 6 point buck standing a little over 200 yards away (long shot in Florida where I live). Everyone and their brother shoots out where I park and there was an old couch sitting in a junk pile. So with my climber on my back and a rifle in my hand I use the couch as a rest for the gun. I was shaking from the opportunity of another deer and from the walk. I managed to get my nerves under control and started to squeeze the trigger aiming a little high on his back (rifle is zeroed at 100 yards and is a Ruger Mark ii compact .308). I was squeezing so slow I was afraid he was going to run off, but this time I did not rush like in my previous post "shattered dreams". I am listening to my heart beat when all of the sudden BOOOOOM!!! My own gun scared the crap out of me. I watched as the deer flipped on his back. Small mistake is when I got up to put the stand in the truck, I did not continue to watch him to make sure he stayed down. Long story short, he got up and ran off in the opposite direction he was facing. 45 minutes of tracking and finally found him shot was place 4 inches above the heart quartering towards me. Right where I placed the cross hairs, not much bullet drop between 100 and 200 yards.
6point.jpg
6point.jpg (96.42 KiB) Viewed 532 times

Not big by any means, but to me a trophy nonetheless. Longest shot I have ever made including range time, but goes to show that squeezing the trigger into a surprise really helped. I will remember my thanksgiving deer the rest of my life.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Re: Small 6 point

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:09 pm

Good job :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Re: Small 6 point

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Good stuff man!
Bill Herian
hunter