Duck Hunting Forum banner

Black or mottled mount ideas

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Duck Nasty 
#1 ·
Here is the bird I shot this morning it's a drake black or mottled either way it is a very special duck for me first of either species still trying to figure it out he was a little shot up a few of his primaries were shot up on one wing and a larger exit wound on his butt. I'm thinking I will go with a dead mount so that it will look ok if he has a few feathers busted. Can you guys help with the id

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
We'll I'm going to go with a dead mount. I ordered the lone star duck kit for the mount. Here is a few of the questions I have before I get started

1. When using the artificial head how is the best way to remove the real one. Do I need to make a separate incision on the back of the head to remove the skull or just separate the skin from the beak and work it out of that. I'm worried about stretching it out if I did that.

2. positioning the tail do I need to run a wire to some filler to get it pointed in the right direction with appropriate natural hang

3. When setting the foot to be the tie off one what is the best way to secure it strong enough to hold

Thanks guys

#4 ·
Get a video, you are not ready yet. The head gets cut around the juncture where the feathers meet the "beak" or bill in the case of your duck. The tail needs a shot of caulk, and a pin and some carding to manipulate the desired position. The leg has a wire that slides through the leg where the skin meets the bone, and this wire is locked into the form. Far more to a mount than most people would believe, so read through any and all posts for those added pointers. A lot of good info here if you do some digging.

Get a video, watch it twice. You will need some tools before starting. Fleshing is important, and scissors in my opinion just make for a lot of work, and probably come up a bit short in overall cleanliness.

#5 ·
Thanks Pete. I was out of it when I posted this up earlier darn medication. I borrowed a video from one of my friends but it was older and only covered using the skull instead of an artificial. And only did standing and flying mounts. I have access to a fleshing wheel so I will be using that. I am trying to do as much research as possible before I get started but can't find much on dead mounts. I was planning on running a heavier gauge wire for the hanging leg and putting it through the body and J-hooking it back into the body to give it enough support to hold the whole bird I was mainly concerned with stretching the skin and not having it able to have it fit tightly on the artificial head

#8 ·
Just as a matter of getting things straight, that duck is neither a black duck or a mottled duck. It is a black duck - mallard cross. Admittedly, it's probably a few generations removed from a direct cross, but a black duck has no white in the speculum. The presence of white in the speculum is an indication of a mallard somewhere in its ancestry. We get a lot of them up this way. Some DEC officers will count it as a cross duck and others will count it as a black duck, so you need to get a clarification from your local officials if you start running into more of them. We're only allowed one black duck on the Atlantic flyway.

Anyway you look at it, it's a cool bird. Good luck in mounting it. Post up some pictures when you're done.

Frank

#15 ·
I know the bill color is off I need to repaint it a little darker yellow any other pointers would be greatly appreciated. It's my first duck to mount feel free to let loose I can take it

I saw the head was not a natural position I adjusted it to hang like the previous reference photo

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.