Help on spread

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Help on spread

Postby preacherdan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Just finished 5 dozen re paints, i put them in redhead canvasback bluebill bufflehead ringbill ruddyducks and coots, so with only having 60 deeks how should i set them out? Ive seen guys use like a F type or E type of spread , but this is my first time going out specifically for divers so i need some help, also should i throw out some canadas and my mallards too? Thanks and God Bless
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Re: Help on spread

Postby SMDGUNNER » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:33 pm

We have used less so don't worry. Usually we use a j withe pocket up wind. Birds should follow the line into the pocket. If they are individually rigged put in small groups as the line. Put buffies in the middle secluded.
SMDGUNNER
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:06 pm

are you on a point?
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:51 pm

And are you hunting with wind at your back or cross wind? I use a W shape with a line going across the top for a cross wind. otherwise a W for wind at your back. Ive used mallards in my diver spread but have not noticed a difference of bringing birds in. If you think mallards are around I would put them out
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:01 pm

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=349442

scroll down....there is an aerial pic with how to set your spread....with mallards/widgeon included....
Labs
hunter

Postby preacherdan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks guys, my locations vary. I like to get on a point if i can , but i will hunt a back wind or a cross wind just the same, i gave it a run last saturday and set a J hook, one thing i learned is it is going to take several guys to keep from getting things in a knot, also i put like 30 " drops on them and put the swivels 3-5' apart so some of the decoys were fairly close, it was an eventful first run but will have to iron out the kinks
God Bless
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Postby Labs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:33 pm

You have them on a long line? Evenly spaced? If so, remove one duck decoy from the line where you want the duck to flair out and land...works every time I've set a long line...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Labs
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting