Has anybody ever hunted

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Has anybody ever hunted

Postby Thedriller » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:23 pm

at mason valley for the controlled goose hunt. My family got drawn for it and was wondering what I need to bring. Do I need to bring my own blinds,decoys. Any info would be great.
Its the only job you start at the top and work your way to the bottom
Thedriller
hunter

Re: Has anybody ever hunted

Postby nangMP » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Everything but a blind. The fields have ground blinds, some with good cover other with no cover. I would say bring some extra camo, dozens of decoys and someone who real good on a call. Those geese tend to stick to certain fields and takes a good call to get them to change their minds.
nangMP
hunter

Postby Moose14 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:10 pm

It's really hit or miss, but mostly miss. I think around 30 birds were taken total last year in the controlled hunt. Did it one year and I'll never do it again.
Wader Up
Moose14
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:01 am

Actually...
Most of the honkers fly over heading to farmlands with feed. The Mason goose fields have not been managed properly for years. NDOW headquarters apparently does not feel like it is that big of a deal.
Hopefully some of those birds drop into your spread. Combo of silos and full bodies will help. I would say a minimum of at least 3 dozen.
Good luck! :thumbsup:
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby overton buster » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Little late. But I have hunted it for about 15 years and there has been only once we havnt killed birds. Lots of flagging and we run from 10 to 15 dz fullbody and shells. But as stated in above post ndow has let it go to crap sorta like most wma they run!!
overton buster
hunter

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting